PDA

View Full Version : First new landscape install.

matthew horner
04-22-2004, 09:27 PM
OK, i've got the basics down of what I do for a living, but I'm getting ready to price a new landscape install. The house just got built. I'm in charge of everything pertaining to landscape: grading, drainage, planting, mulching, sodding, ETC ETC.

What advice do you guys have on this. It is more than the "flower bed" jobs I'm used to swinging.

Thank you.

For information sake, I have one full time employee.

Matt

D Felix
04-22-2004, 11:45 PM
Advice? It's simple! DON'T SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE FOOT!!!!!!!!!!

Great advice, huh?

Basically make sure you cover your costs on materials, equipment and labor, and add in enough for a profit.

Watering canNOT be overstated. The fewer the trips, the better. Buy wholesale if possible. Take pictures from start to finish. Get some one in on a consultation if need be. Make sure you are insured for what you will be doing. If you rent a piece of equipment, NEVER turn down the damage waiver! Always (whenever possible) call ahead to reserve rentals. Make sure you have fuel cans with you at all times. Keep the phone numbers of your suppliers with you at all times. CALL BEFORE YOU DIG (locating service).

Just some random thoughts. Not related to pricing much, but its still free advice!:D

Dan

matthew horner
04-23-2004, 01:14 AM
thanks for the advice, I am insured. I just wonder if this will take longer than I think, as opposed to other jobs I've done. Thanks again.

kris
04-23-2004, 04:41 AM
First step is have a design. When you get that , estimate it. You should then know the man-hours and material required. Around here the homeowner needs a rough grade certificate before any landscaping starts.