PDA

View Full Version : removing vegetatation from brick sidewalk

cntryboymc
04-22-2004, 09:32 PM
i have just gotten a new customer who is very nice and has a really easy yard.i was doing the spring cleanup recently and he approached me about looking at his brick paver walkway.the cracks are full of weeds and moss.he suggested spraying roundup on the walkway.i was thinking about using a scrub brush and a power washer to clean out the cracks.any thoughts on the most effective way to do this?

Likestomow
04-22-2004, 09:41 PM
I think that Roundup idea is great.

GreenMonster
04-22-2004, 09:43 PM
The pressure washer, or even a good blower should get the moss out. Then round-up whatever is left.

If you can clean out enough between the bricks, replace with stablilizer sand which will minimize weed growth (unless they are coming up from below).

DennisF
04-22-2004, 09:45 PM
I would kill the weeds with Round-up first. Then use a mix of TSP (Trisodiumphosphate) and chlorine bleach to remove the moss. About 1/4 cup TSP, 1 cup bleach to each gallon of water. Wash the pavers with the solution using a stiff bristle broom or brush. allow to soak for 20 minutes then rinse with clean water. Don't get the solution on the lawn.
I wouldn't try a power washer on those pavers. They are softer than concrete and may crumble if you use high pressure to clean the joints.

Action Lawn
04-22-2004, 09:51 PM
DennisF has got it. don't powerwash the pavers! you will remove all the sand in the seams. Then the pavers can shift. you will end up with weeds agin in 3 weeks, a crooked walkway, and a pissed customer.

GreenMonster
04-22-2004, 10:02 PM
aren't we talking about concrete pavers? They'll crumble from a pressure washer?

I still think you should clean-out the cracks to some extent. If the walkway has some age, there may be an accumulation of topsoil and/or other undesireable material that is encouraging weed growth. new concrete sand with stabilizer would help prevent germination of new weeds.

Action Lawn
04-22-2004, 10:12 PM
The pavers won't break-down, it is the sand and aggragate in-between and under. That water, and presure will devistate the sand and foundation. Then basically you are back at the first step. You have to re-work the sand into the seam & maybe compact/ vibrate the walk. best practice...Spray it, wait, cut the dead with a trimmer, blow it off and keep on top of it.

DennisF
04-22-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
aren't we talking about concrete pavers? They'll crumble from a pressure washer?

I still think you should clean-out the cracks to some extent. If the walkway has some age, there may be an accumulation of topsoil and/or other undesireable material that is encouraging weed growth. new concrete sand with stabilizer would help prevent germination of new weeds.

Yes they are concrete. But they are cast using much less portland cement than concrete used in paving driveways and walkways. They also have impurities introduced into them to give them their color which also weakens the finished product.

sildoc
04-25-2004, 01:45 AM
Roudup, and ferris sulfate for moss and wait till next week. then take stiff bristle broom and brush weeds and moss away. Done. 50 bucks please.

cntryboymc
04-25-2004, 06:15 PM
thanks for the info guys!

nysuz
11-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Ferrous sulfate won't hurt anything of the surrounding plants and grass. Round up does not kill the moss when we have 12 inches of rain in a month. The moss took off this fall. power washing won't work. The bricks need to be resanded and a mention of stabilizing sand may help. I tried the concrete/sand mix two years ago, but it looks like hell now. Can stabilizing sand be bought at Home Depot or the like? Thanks for any help in advance.

Flex-Deck
11-29-2006, 07:25 PM
I use round-up and Sahara (sterilant with 18 month residual and it does not leach) mixed for any spraying of cracks, or around signs and objects that I do not want to trim.

TURFLORD
11-30-2006, 09:22 AM
Nothing like raising the dead.