PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Super Z To Buy Or Not To Buy

richardheyder
04-23-2004, 12:29 AM
OUT LOOKING FOR A NEW ZTR AND ARE LOOKING AT THE HUSTLER SUPER Z. I ALREADY HAVE THREE SCAG TURF TIGERS,A KUBOTA TRACTOR, A DIXON AND A FEW JD WALK BEHINDS. BUT THE DIXON IS GETTING A BIT OLD AND SLOW AND NEEDS TO GO TO LAWN MOWER HEAVEN. ANY BODY OUT THERE HAVE ANY COMMENTS TO GIVE ABOUT THE SUPER Z GOOD OR BAD I NEED TO KNOW. AND HOW IT COMPARES TO OTHER ZTR'S LIKE MAYBE THE TURF TIGER

excel25
04-23-2004, 05:49 AM
If you demo 1 you wont take it back. I've had mine for over 2 yr. still love it. nothing bad to say at all.

Fescue Farmer
04-23-2004, 07:57 AM
I just bought 2 Hustler Mini Super Z's, 25 Kawasakis & 52" decks. They are really great machines. Hydro controls are dampened, but very smooth and it doesn't feel like you are pushing against a brick wall compared to some other mowers. 13 mph! You can only cut at this speed if the ground is smooth and the grass is light, but when it is, work time goes way down!
I previously had been mowing with Encore Z52's that weighed 850 lbs (fairly light), were nimble in tight spots, light on the front caster wheels and had Carlisle low pressure V-tread tires mounted on them - they stuck like glue on hills no matter what approach angle.
Amazingly, with the stock turf treads, and weighing 130lbs heavier, the Hustlers seem to do just as good if not better than the Encores did.
We had trouble with the gas caps leaking fuel out from the side vents even when the tanks were only 1/3 full. Contacted the engineering department at Hustler and they sent me newly designed caps within 3-4 days. They still leak, but the fuel is diffused over a smooth area on top of the cap and three rings around the outer perimeter catch the gas and it evaporates quickly. A cheap, cheezy solution to an obvious design problem. The tank that is not drawing any fuel leaks the most gas. However, the caps do work and Hustler responded quickly to my needs.
The mower deck is offset to give you more trim capacity which is good - however, I am very particular about my striping patterns, and this caused me momentary consternation until I turned the trim side rear tire inside out - my trim capacity has been reduced, but my stripes are back in order. The deck seems to discharge OK - nothing phenomenal, and if the grass is slightly damp, clumping occurs very quickly. If the grass is high and dry, it still clumps rather than dispersing it evenly. The discharge opening is small and the grass seems to get caught on the tailing edge of the discharge opening. Another thread somewhere here by PJ at Hustler stated that Hustler is in the process of redesigning their decks - might be worth waiting for.
Hope this helps!

richardheyder
04-23-2004, 11:01 AM
HEY GUYS, THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT, I AM TAKING ALL OF THIS IN. EXSPECALLY THAT ABOUT THE DECK CLOGGING UP. I READ THE OTHER THREAD YOU TALK ABOUT AND IT WAS VERY HELPFUL. HOW ABOUT A LITTLE INPUT FROM THE HUSTLER REP. HAVE THEY DONE SOMETIME WITH THE DECK YET, OR WILL THERE BE A NEW ONE IN THE NEAR FUTURE WITH AN EXCHANGE OR REBATE PROGRAM. ALSO ONE THING I REALLY LIKE ABOUT MY TIGERS IS THE PLASTIC DISCHARGE CHUTE, YOU CAN HIT THINGS IT AND IT BOUNCES RIGHT BACK WITH NO DAMAGE TO THE CHUTE OR WHATEVER YOU HIT. CAN YOU GET ONE FOR THE SUPER Z. I AM TALKING TO A NEW DEALER AND THE ONLY HUSTLER DEALER NEARBY (I LIVE IN A VERY SMALL TOWN, BUT DO ALOT OF BUSSINESS IN THE LOCAL AREA) SO WHAT IS A GOOD PRICE FOR THE SUPER Z WITH THE 27 KOHLER AND THE 28 EFI KOHLER AND IS THE 28 WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY. ALSO IS THERE AN HOUR LIMIT ON THE WARRANTY. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO AND I WOULD LIKE ANY MORE FROM OTHERS TOO !LIVE LONG AND PROSPER, BUT DO IT WITH THE CHUTE DOWN AND THE SAFETY GLASSES ON!!!

supermini z
05-05-2004, 09:31 PM
get the 27hp kawaski. it is the liquid cooled unit. It will probley out last the kohler also on my supermini z I have the discharge problem too.

richardheyder
05-06-2004, 01:46 AM
THANKS FOR THE REPLY, MY DEALER DELIVERED MY SUPER Z THIS AFTERNOON. I GOT THE 60" DECK, BAR TIRES, MULCH KIT, AND THE 28 KOHLER EFI. I GOT THE KOHLER TO HOPEFULLY CUT FUEL COST ALITTLE, MY TIGERS WITH THE 27 KAWS REALLY DRINK THE GAS. HE ONLY BROUGHT BY ONE HUSTLER HAT, ONE HAT, EIGHT WORKERS THE FIGHT IS ON, I WONDER WHO WILL GET IT. I WILL TAKE ANY HELP WITH THE GOOD AND BAD OF THE SUPER Z, THAT WOULD BE NICE. I'M A EXPERT ON THE TIGERS BUT NEW TO THE Z, WHAT DO I WATCH OUT FOR. ALSO HOW ABOUT INFORMATION ON LIGHTS, A PLASTIC DISCHARGE CHUTE, A CHUTE BLOCKER LIKE THE CHOPPERS HAVE, DECK CLOGGING, AND WHAT ARE THE BEST KIND OF BLADES FOR GENERAL WORK. LIVE LONG AND PROSPER, BUT DO IT WITH THE CHUTE DOWN!