PDA

View Full Version : stripe lawn last fert. application,lawn is going dormet,what to do?

ant
12-03-2000, 08:54 AM
last application of fertilizer i stripe the lawn.
lawn is going dormet (this morning low 17 deg. f.
lawn cust is not saying much,bot i wont to fix it .
what do i do?
anthony
new jersey

Lazer
12-03-2000, 11:21 PM
As quality as those Spyker spreaders are, their spread pattern sure isn't forgiving is it?

I'd reaapply if you're still doing apps. (I'm all done up here.)

Don't say anything to the customer. It'll just worry them. Correct it next year. Many customers may not even notice.

bobbygedd
12-18-2000, 11:58 AM
anthony, u r not using a drop spreader, are u? any way, been there, done that!what can u do? nothing, i striped about 8 lawns my first year in business, trying to fix them made them worse. best bet is to wait till spring, and just start program like nothing happened, fert at this time of year wont have any effect anyway. and, dont mention it if they dont, if they do tell them spreader malfunctioned, and u will tend to it in spring. any help i can give i would be happy to. bobbygedd@aol

Wooly
12-23-2000, 12:40 PM
Yes I agree. I would use a broadcast spreader use the same pattern as your drop spreading, letting the passes overlap about a foot, then a perimeter lap. Let nature fix the stripes. With water 3-6 weeks should fix it.

ant
11-08-2001, 07:15 PM
at the end of last year i followed Lazer's advice and re-applied the lawn and at the start of this season it was un-noticable
thanks.
ant

GreenQuest Lawn
11-08-2001, 10:53 PM
Cut your rate in half and over lap to your previous wheel marks.

If you overlap about a foot then that foot of lawn just got double the fert of the rest. (this in its self will lead to stripes) also using a slow release fert reduces the chances of striping.

KirbysLawn
11-09-2001, 12:46 AM
Now that's following up on your post! Never saw you state what type of spreader you were using?

ant
11-09-2001, 06:43 AM
ray" it was a spikre on my ride-on.since then i up-grades to a different hopper and no problems.
the spiker had a patters adjustment that was a pain.
ant

MATTHEW
11-10-2001, 04:45 PM
A little chunk blocking the hole can do that as well. Yeah, you should re-apply. If we get a bit of an indian summer, it might just green up the light areas.

Ric
11-10-2001, 05:41 PM
Anthony

I have stripped a few myself. But my climate is a little more forgiving and I can shoot folar fert to correct. Still it takes time.

The reason I am posting a reply is I had a though about your area that might or might not work. Winter in our area Bahia grass goes dormain if not irrigated. I have dyed lawns green with a tracking dye for real estate model homes open house. It lasts quite a while. Could this be a winter market for you???? Instant Green. I do not know your area and throw this out as a brain storm.

1grnlwn
11-11-2001, 10:23 AM
Ant ,
What kind of spreader are you using now? I just mounted a spiker this year. Had to modify the scattershield to keep it from collecting and then dumping fert.

osc
11-11-2001, 08:27 PM
Re-apply with quick release fert, high in nitrogen cut your rate in half and spread at normal width and then spread at 90 degrees at normal width. This should give you optimum coverage. If you have a liquid sprayer use some turfiron or liquid foliar fert.

Quick release granular fert should be used when the grass is dry, then watered in. If it sticks to grass leaves, it may burn the grass.

Lay down a full pound of N/thousand and in 5 days you will have green up.

You will need a break in the weater though.