PDA

View Full Version : Getting together an organic system

Precision
04-24-2004, 11:12 PM
Let's say you were starting an organic program for your clients. Something you could offer as an alternative to synthetic fert programs. How would you go about setting it up? Same basic schedule as your synthetic application just a bit earlier with each application.

Where would you go about getting the components like CGM, Milorganites and all the other stuff without buying the 1 lb bags at Lowes.

thanks for your help.

TurfProSTL
04-27-2004, 06:35 AM
How many applications per season? Do you want to be organic-based or chemical-free? There are alot of sources for organic-based products that are more cost effective than the retail stuff.....

Precision
04-27-2004, 09:06 PM
TurfPro STL

I am looking to provide 5 applications

early March High N and pre emerge

early May Med N

Early July Low N and mature compost to add microbes and
aid in moisture retention

Early Sept High N

Early Nov Med N and mature compost top dressed

Remember I am in Central Florida and we grow from late march to mid november.

I am not opposed to using synthetics for weed and bug control at the beginning but want to shift each lawn to fully organic once they get stronger. No synthetic fert. I am looking for help with where to buy pre emergent, and weed control items as well as ferts other than milorganites. Not that I dislike that but not all clients are cool with that.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

TurfProSTL
04-28-2004, 04:00 AM
Precision

Your growing season is surprisingly similar to ours (for our cool-season turf).

(1) MARCH
For your spring application with pre-emergent, I might recommend you look for the product Hamon mentioned in another thread:
15-1-10 w/ .1% Dimension (distributed by Prosource One, mfr by Award)

(2) I used Nutrients Plus products for all but the March application this past year (On the spring application, I used synthetic to get a cost-effective pre-emergent/fert combination down).

Based on your specified needs, I might recommend these:

MAY
6-2-4 (40% WIN, 50% OM)

JULY
4-3-1 (70% WIN, 55% OM)

SEPTEMBER
16-2-3 (60% CRN, 40% OM)

NOVEMBER
4-3-2 (50% WIN, 50% OM)

(3) Apply broadleaf weed controls as needed and insect controls on an IPM basis.

timturf
04-28-2004, 07:26 AM
please define sythetic, since it means many different things to different people!

Would you use sop?

JethroBodine
04-28-2004, 09:23 AM
TurfProSTL

How many Lbs per M are you recommending on each application?

TurfProSTL
04-28-2004, 12:18 PM
OK, after looking at the rate of Dimension in the 15-1-10 w/ .1% Dimension, I would do 2 (split) applications, instead of one, to apply an adequate amount of pre-emergent for Florida:

MARCH
15-1-10 w/.1% Dimension 5.0 lb/M .75 - .05 - .50 - 2.0(?) OM

MAY
15-1-10 w/.1% Dimension 3.6 lb/M .54 - .04 - .36 - 1.4(?) OM

JULY
4-3-1 (70% WIN, 55% OM) 12.0 lb/M .48 - .36 - .12 - 6.6 OM

SEPTEMBER
16-2-3 (60% CRN, 40% OM) 6.0 lb/M .96 - .12 - .18 - 2.4 OM

NOVEMBER
4-3-2 (50% WIN, 50% OM) 12.0 lb/M .48 - .36 - .24 - 6.0 OM

TOTALS: 3.2 - 0.9 - 1.4 - 18.4 OM

timturf
04-29-2004, 08:15 PM
I don't think 3.2 lbs/m is enough for florida, and what grass are you growing?

what is your thought ric?

Ric
04-29-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by timturf
I don't think 3.2 lbs/m is enough for florida, and what grass are you growing?

what is your thought ric?

Tim

University of Florida give recommend N rates for all popular turfs in Florida. They also list these as North and South Florida rates, and Highly maintained rate and Moderate maintained rates. So in North Florida the rate would depend on the Level of maintenance desired and the turf species. Now I guess from this answer you might think I am a politician. :D

The most popular grass species I see on total organic treated yards is Digitaria. 3.2 lbs N per thousand per year with lots of good irrigation or rain fall will cause this species to be extremely dark green all summer long. This specie can be established from seed and is very insect resistance. The seeds are in fact viable for up to 15 years. :D :D

timturf
04-29-2004, 11:24 PM
How much n for bermunda in florida for moderate level of maintanence?

Ric
04-30-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by timturf
How much n for bermunda in florida for moderate level of maintanence?

U of F "Florida Lawn Handbook" the bible of Florida Turf says 4Lbs N in North and 5 lbs N in South Florida.

Now that will keep it alive But I wouldn't try to maintain it with less than 6 Lbs per year my self. Public Golf Course fairways mostly 419 will use at least 8 lbs per year.

Now Bermuda Likes It's K and I am a believer in K so will use at least 1-2 N to K on Bermuda. Better Golf Course will go 1-3 N to K on the greens.

In South Florida Bermuda is athletic field Turf not home owner. It is considered high maintain compared the St Augustine. But remember we only have calcareous sand for soil.

TurfProSTL
04-30-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Ric
The most popular grass species I see on total organic treated yards is Digitaria. 3.2 lbs N per thousand per year with lots of good irrigation or rain fall will cause this species to be extremely dark green all summer long. This specie can be established from seed and is very insect resistance. The seeds are in fact viable for up to 15 years. :D :D :rolleyes: Funny.....

Ric
04-30-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by TurfProSTL
:rolleyes: Funny.....

No just true.

bioman
04-30-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Ric

The most popular grass species I see on total organic treated yards is Digitaria. 3.2 lbs N per thousand per year with lots of good irrigation or rain fall will cause this species to be extremely dark green all summer long. This specie can be established from seed and is very insect resistance. The seeds are in fact viable for up to 15 years. :D :D [/B]

So. Ric your saying crabgrass is the most popular turf. I would like to know were, who, and a picture of a yard.

Thanks,

Ron

Ric
04-30-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by bioman
So. Ric your saying crabgrass is the most popular turf. I would like to know were, who, and a picture of a yard.

Thanks,

Ron

Ron

Either you took my advice and signed up for turf grass 101 or you have been reading. The third alternative is you found someone to ask. In any case, Even my satire is starting to give you the Education you so desperately need. Keep reading, Lawnsite does have some very good information.

dishboy
04-30-2004, 11:14 PM
I found it very amusing, the sarcasim that is.

"Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic"

Norm Al
05-01-2004, 12:48 PM
www.agorganics.com