PDA

View Full Version : skid steer or compact tractor?

cntryboymc
04-25-2004, 06:35 PM
it has come to my attention that i may need to be in the market for a compact tractor or skid steer.with the heavy winter we had,snow banks could have been pushed back with either machine.also while doing spring cleanups this year,ive had several inquiries from customers for doing loader,backhoe,york rake work.at a recent farm show in our area,i spoke with reps from bobcat and john deere about these machines.the idea that i have is that if im not doing heavy landscape or construction work dont get a skid steer.basically because the skid steer will tear up yards more than a compact with industrial tires would.the compact seemed better for bush hogging,york raking,loader work,etc.is this a true statement?im considering a jd 4000 ten series tractor(30-35hp) or a bobcat skid steer.also it seems like skid steer attachments are more costly.any thoughts would be appreciated!

Mdirrigation
04-25-2004, 07:38 PM
Rent equipment to start , you will figure out what works best for you.

LB Landscaping
04-25-2004, 07:49 PM
I rent a JD 4200 on a regular basis, good machine, just the right size. Still will tear up the turf if you fly around with it but definatly not as much as a Skid Steer. The hoe on it seems a little under powered though.

cntryboymc
04-29-2004, 11:52 PM
any more input guys?

Tigerotor77W
05-02-2004, 11:01 AM
Bobcat A300. Won't tear up lawns and is a lot easier to run than a tractor. Also easier to switch attachments.

cntryboymc
05-03-2004, 10:33 PM
how much is the bobcat a300?

cntryboymc
05-05-2004, 10:46 PM
how much is a bobcat a 300?

Tigerotor77W
05-06-2004, 07:29 PM
Sorry, I was sick for a few days.

They run quite a bit -- $45,000 sounds about right. However, it is fully compatible with skid steer attachments. It now has the 81 hp Kubota powerplant.

cntryboymc
05-06-2004, 09:43 PM
pretty pricey!i spoke with a bobcat sales rep today.he offered a 2003 s185 with high flow and air conditioning.the machine has 400 hrs on it and he was asking $23,000 for it. sound too high?
im trying not to go to high priced.

Tigerotor77W
05-08-2004, 10:50 AM
That sounds about right. However, with 400 hours, I dunno, it sounds like he's inflated the price a little bit.

Make sure a skid will work for you. As you said, it tears up lawns and finished surfaces. NH and Deere are horrible on asphalt; their weight distribution makes all four wheels scrape off the surface of asphalt on a hot day. Bobcat and Case seem to be better at avoiding the gouging. However, make sure a skid steer works. DEMO it before you put money on anything.

cntryboymc
05-09-2004, 10:36 PM
bobcat s250-do you have a compact tractor also?what are your thoughts on those?

reformedlandscaper
05-10-2004, 08:30 PM
When I was in the business, we had two Kubota L series tractors. One was a 2850, the other a 2250. They both were great machines.

We used the 2850 for smaller (we also had a Case 580K)drainage and landscape construction jobs. It had regular Ag tires on it. That machine had a Woods backhoe. We also had a york rake.

I set the 2250 for up for turf work. It had turf tires. We had a Vicon spreader, Ryan 72" Trac-Aire, Jacobson slice seeder, Kubota 72" Finish mower, and a few more attachments I can't remember.
Both machines had 4WD and were work horses year round.

We would rent skid steers for rock hounding so I had a bit of time in on those as well. Without question a skid steer with good operator will load trucks faster than a compact tractor with an equally proficient operator, but for virtually everything else, I believe the tractor is a more versatile machine.

Good luck!!

cntryboymc
05-17-2004, 06:30 PM
thanks for the info guys!

Tigerotor77W
05-18-2004, 07:42 PM
Umm, cntryboymc,

Sorry I didn't get around to answering your question. For some reason... I... I didn't see this thread as being a new one. *shakes head* Sorry again.
I don't own a compact tractor -- OR a skid for that matter. I'm a student. My suggestions are based on what I've seen, not what I've actually done. But I can tell you this -- there are very FEW landscapers with tractors around here anymore. Most have shifted to skids. 'Course you'll see the occasional tractor, but you'll see much more skid.

r_rivera7272
05-26-2004, 05:55 PM
Yes the Bobcat A300 would be your choice. Not only can you use it as an all-wheel steer, you can lock it into a skid steer mode, get a set of McLaren tracks (THEY ARE AWESOME!) to beat the snow. The plethora of attachments available through Bobcat should set you straight for any application as well.

Tigerotor77W
05-30-2004, 12:25 PM
Only problem with using an A300 with tracks is remembering not to use the tracks in its AWS mode... lol

r_rivera7272
06-02-2004, 02:10 PM
LOL... yeah that'll be bad.

cntryboymc
06-06-2004, 11:26 PM
thats a good thought with the tracks!

Loganwildman
06-10-2004, 03:20 PM
It really depends on what you do the most of. For our business, I weighed the options, and decided to go with a NH TC35 4wd with loaded and the quick attach bucket feature. The quick attach feature lets me hook onto any of the newer bobcat attachments. The only down side to the tractor is in compact areas and in loading a truck. But I will say that in the hands of a skilled operator, even those 2 deficiences can be reduced.

Attachments are cheaper and just about any attachment that is available for a skid loader is also available for the CUT. And if it isn't, no problem, I'll just hook onto the skidloader attachment. :cool: