PDA

View Full Version : What is the best ZTR lawn mower?

sdog882007
04-26-2004, 05:59 PM
I have a Cub Cadet zero turn mower it has a 44 inch deck and a 15 horsepower Kawasaki engine, it doesn't seem to make a very clean cut, only when blades are very sharp, so i decided that i am going to get a new mower. I was looking at getting maybe a 50 or 60 inch Dixie Chopper. I am going to start mowing 20-30 yards a week and i need a mower that could take a good beating. Could you guys tell me what the best mower is?
Thank you,
Steve

jrs mowing
04-27-2004, 11:05 PM
Take a look at the Country Clipper (Zeton) I like the way mine runs.

rvrdvr
04-28-2004, 05:05 PM
yea, I would check out the country clipper line, I have a Zeton and love it but if you dont want to spend that kind of money check out the new country clipper Charger.

cmurphy128
04-30-2004, 10:23 PM
Winning the job time race
The tortise and the hare
We're all familiar with the story about the turtle and the rabbit. The rabbit has more speed, but the turtle has more determination, stamina and consistency. The rabbit may get a fast start, but the turtle wins the race.
When it comes to winning the job time race, the fastest mower -- the mower with the fastest ground speed -- is like the rabbit. It can mow fast, but it will often finish second to a machine that has more maneuverability and trimming capability, and the ability to overall manicure a lawn.

At Walker Mfg., we like to position the Walker Mower as the tortoise. No, it's not the fastest mower in the world (it's no slouch either), but when it comes to winning the job time race, it comes in first almost every time. Here's why.

The job time race begins and ends at the trailer, not at the edge of the mowed turf. One of the true measures of a mower's performance, including speed, is how long it takes a mowing crew to completely finish a job.

Let's position the rabbit (e.g., a compact mower with a belly-mounted deck) at the starting line. The mower tackles the straight-aways faster than the turtle (e.g., a Walker with a GHS deck). There's no question it is fast, but it can't take turns at 8 mph. If this 1,000-pound rabbit were to reverse direction at top speed, it's good-bye grass.

And having a mid-mounted deck, the rabbit can't trim close to hedges, trees, flower beds and other landscaping elements. In fact, built for speed and not maneuverability, the rabbit is far too clumsy for most trim work, leaving much of it to crew members with string line trimmers.

Meanwhile, the turtle (a.k.a. Walker) is humming along at a near consistent speed. It's fast enough on the straight-aways and trimming -- this turtle is built for turning. With its patented combination of Forward Speed Control and steering levers, only gentle fingertip pressure is needed to put the turtle through its paces. Forward and back, side to side, and forward and back again, the machine is like "poetry in motion."

Combine the outfront deck with the compact design of an integrated grass-handling system (GHS), and the turtle seems perfectly content to take a little extra time on the straight-aways to quickly outmaneuver the hare on the turns.

Back at the race, the turtle's maneuverability has allowed it to close the gap on the rabbit. But just as it was gaining ground, its grass catcher needed emptying. Too bad, the rabbit wins by a nose. Or does it? At the finish line, the rabbit's operator picks up a trimmer to complete the trimming and then comes back for a blower to tidy up the walks, disperse clumps of grass and overall finish the job the rabbit only started. By now, the turtle is long gone, starting on its next job.

The moral of this story is simple: When it comes to mowing, speed is relative. A mower's overall speed should be measured by how long it takes to completely finish a job, not by how quickly it covers the ground. In fact, too much ground speed is a liability because it makes turning more difficult. And decks, even mid-mount decks, lose some of their efficiency at higher speeds.

The next time you see a rabbit mowing, admire its speed, but tip your hat to the turtle -- the machine that's already heading to the next job

GreenMonster
04-30-2004, 10:40 PM
couldn't you have just sent him a Walker brochure?:eek: :eek: :eek:

:p j/k

mowhigh
05-01-2004, 02:34 PM
Like already mentioned, make sure you check out Country Clipper. I was impressed with the Walker, but never bag and couldn't afford it. The new EverRide Warrior also appears to have a lot going for it. After demoing a couple of Country Clippers, I was sold on the easy flip-up deck, the available single joystick control (make sure you give yourself more than 10 minutes to get used to it!) 5" cutting height and 4-yr commercial warranty. I was able to get the 23hp 52" Charger for less than $6k. Good luck!

themowerman
05-05-2004, 11:30 AM
That question always opens up a pandoras box. What is the best ZTR?!?!? The equipment is only as good as the service that comes with it. All of the manufacturers have their pros and cons. I alway suggest that you find a dealer that you are comfortable with that will stock parts and be able to take care of you when you are down. Will they give you a loaner to use? Do they appear to bend over backwards for you? Do they listen to you? Too many landscapers will pit dealers against each other to compete with price. I would rather pay a little more from a dealer I trust and know that if there is a problem that he will take care of me. Shop for the features that are important to you and ask to demo the machine you are interested in. As for the EverRide Warrior that was mentioned, that machine really impresses me. It looks well built and have been told that it mows very well and discharges well. They are the new kids on the block and it looks like they have a well thought out product.

ben fritz
05-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Dixie chopper is the best that i found out there. we mow 84 yards a week never had any prob out of mine i have 2 of them

supermini z
05-05-2004, 09:24 PM
I like the hustler mowers. They are the fastest and have the largest hydro pumps. If you are going with a 52inch get the supermini z. It is the top of the line in the small frames. no body elese can touch it. Also the 60inch super z is nice. it has a ground speed of 15mph transport ans 11,mph cutting speed. mine the supermini z go's 13mph transport and 10mph cutting speed try one out.

dozerdogue
05-06-2004, 10:29 PM
I have an everride 60" ztr and a hustler super z with a 25hp kawasaki also. The everride is without a doubt a better machine period. It cuts better, rides better, is more user friendly and better balanced it never scalps unlike my super z. It's faster in dry conditions and 3 times as fast when cutting heavy wet grass. The deck design is simply awesome clippings are far and few. This mower is the best mower i have ever used to include scag, exmark, ferris. If you demo one you'll be blown away by how smooth and powerfull it is.

themowerman
05-07-2004, 08:30 AM
I have been keeping an eye on the new EverRide and you are right. What a machine. I installed a couple of EverRide Catchers on them and I am impressed. The catcher takes a little time for the enitial install but after that it can be taken off or put on in less than five minutes. They look like they are using bigger Hydro pumps and wheel motors than other ZT's and are using a heavier duty clutch. Without the catcher on the machine I can't believe how well it dispurses the grass. I predict that this machine will king of the hill once the work gets out.

countrygirl
05-07-2004, 09:31 PM
I have a Jhon deere ztr and love it is a great machine

The Lawn Boy Pro
05-11-2004, 10:19 AM
This is an EXMARK bias website. Lets put it that way.

supermini z
05-12-2004, 08:39 AM
Dozerdogue the everride looks nice. I like the deck design too bad they don't sell any where I live. Also I know the hustlers have a problem with discharging grass.

themowerman
05-12-2004, 04:03 PM
According to Everrides website the distributor for DE is Steven Willand Inc. 888-229-4561 They might be able to give you the name of a dealer.