PDA

View Full Version : Red Cedar Mulch - Anybody like?

GreenMonster
04-27-2004, 08:57 AM
Ok, who uses the dyed red mulch?

Personally, I can't stand it, and push folks away from it. I think it has an extremely phoney look.

Most every customer I talk to says they hate it too.

So my question is, if everyone hates it so much, why do I see it EVERYWHERE?!?!

ElephantNest
04-27-2004, 09:44 AM
Give 'em what they want. I'd never used it before this season, always just used the no float shredded cypress. But, one after another has asked for it, so I give it to them.

Mgardner
04-27-2004, 09:59 AM
Ditto`s Green Monster. I hate red cedar mulch and always push ,or try to push them away from it. It does look bad.

dvmcmrhp52
04-27-2004, 09:53 PM
ugh!..................

Old Red
04-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Maybe I'm the oddball but I like it. However the wife doesn't so there's none to be seen around my home.

D Felix
04-27-2004, 10:12 PM
We just tell everyone that we are allergic to it.:D Seems to work thus far!

We have used black dyed mulch though. It looks a LOT better than the red, though it's not my first choice.

We are using brown-dyed bark mulch for the first time this year. It looks promising for holding it's color....

Dan

GreenMonster
04-27-2004, 10:17 PM
I kind of like the black pine. It has a classy kind of look.

I wish my supplier had something between natural pine and dyed black pine.

polecat63
04-28-2004, 08:30 AM
I use it. The stuff I use is actually red, not that wierd sorta red color you see all the tiime. Also, it isn't cedar, it's dyed hardwood mulch. Red cedar is actually red cedar and isn't really red. More like a strwberry blonde and smells good, too.

NNJLandman
04-28-2004, 08:35 AM
in some places the red cedar mulch looks pretty good, depends where your putting it and whats already there....but whatever the customer wants they shall get.

I dunno why but i believe that the red cedar mulch carries the most spores, i think i stopped using it at my house when these red dots covered the front of the house.

Jeff

David Shaw
04-28-2004, 10:19 AM
Personall I prefer the brown dyed. I think it makes the plants pop a little more. And looks classier.

sgoalie23
05-11-2004, 12:35 PM
if you are going to get red, get the red dye hardwood mix. looks alot better than the cheap weak color of red cedar. But it all depends on the the color of the house. IMO.

NCSULandscaper
05-11-2004, 01:43 PM
Alot of the time, the red mulch is not even hardwood mulch. In this area its ground wood pallets. Which means it has not decomposed, and will eventually kill the plants you put it around.

GreenMonster
05-11-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by NCSULandscaper
Alot of the time, the red mulch is not even hardwood mulch. In this area its ground wood pallets. Which means it has not decomposed, and will eventually kill the plants you put it around.

This is true. A lot of guys grinding roots, stumps, demo material, pallets, etc.

fishman644
05-11-2004, 10:57 PM
just tell them when it rains the stain splashes on their house and turns everything red. ive seen this happen numerous times and really makes the house look like s@#t