PDA

View Full Version : Skidsteer visibility

cajensen
04-27-2004, 12:14 PM
I have an older Bobcat 773 for use on my land. part of this is work on my 1/4 mile road which in some places have some deep ditches. The visibility when backing up to grade/ pack the road is bad, at least I end up with a stiff neck trying to get close to the edge of the road without going in the ditch.
Is there a better way to do this. Does someone use mirrors ?
Is the visibility behind you better on some brands of skidsteers.

xcopterdoc
04-28-2004, 09:26 PM
rear visibility sux on all skid steers. Next to getting crushed under the loader arms, backing over someone is #2 for deaths while operating skid steer loaders becauce of the poor rearend visibility. I always try to look at the front wheel closest to the ditch and try and judge it from there. Err to the side of safety, you can always go back and make another pass closer if ya have to.

ksss
04-29-2004, 01:15 AM
Generally, radial lift machines are easier to see out of than vertical lift machines (like your 773) due to a simplified lift system. We have vertical lift machine and a radial lift. When it comes to tight areas and fine grading the radial lift machine is the one we go to.

GeeVee
04-29-2004, 10:19 AM
A retro fitting of mirrors is a good idea. You could visit a junkyard and get many different types. I'd suggest a "West Coast" mirror like you would find on a medium duty truck. Mount it laying sideways in the roof at the front so it is in the cab and protected. .

As for other help, may I suggest a pair of boat cushions? One to sit on and one for your back?

I used to get the neck ache even with mirrors due to the fact that I wanted to see the cutting edge of the blade, and was always leaning forward.

The seating and cab layout is for the average 5'10" operator. When you move the seat all the way forward, maybe a person 5'8" is helped.

cajensen
04-29-2004, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the responses. I actually mounted a mirror inside the cab so I can take a quick look behind me now and then. Even if I normally only use it on my own land I always tell people to take children and pets and stay away .
I don't think mirrors on the outside would work unless I mount them on the lift arm. I could mount some collapsing on the cab but I think I would forget to often not to lift the bucket to high and crush the mirrors.

lars
04-29-2004, 02:15 PM
Anything mounted outside the machine is bad. We had a plexiglass door on our NH and you could not see out of it when the sun was comming in cause of all the scratches on the plexiglass. So I have the door open to see where my bucket is, lift the arms up and SMASH, no more door. Good riddance I guess.

Tigerotor77W
04-29-2004, 03:38 PM
It is indeed a problem, cajensen, but (I say this grudgingly) Deere and NH have some of the better rear-visibility machines out there. Bobcat's engine cover does tend to come up a ways so it may block the field of vision of shorter operators. JCB and Komatsu also have lower engine covers.

AL Inc
04-29-2004, 10:21 PM
I did notice the overall visibility of the John Deere was excellent when I demo'd the 260.