PDA

View Full Version : Skid-steer service?

Dodgemania
04-27-2004, 07:39 PM
I do mowing and landscaping, and was wanting to get in the skidsteer buisness. Not really using my skidsteer a whole bunch for my landscape services, but using it to make money. Such as lawn installs with a harley rake or any other odds and ends jobs. Is this a legitimate thing to think about doing, and what do you guys charge to operate a skidsteer. I know if your in different areas people charge different but just wanting an idea of the the potential income.

Dodgemania
04-28-2004, 10:23 PM
Help is needed here!

ksss
04-29-2004, 12:37 AM
Income potential is totally dependant on your area. The key IMHO is you have to have the attachments. Everyone has a skid steer. The key is to have attachments that can make you money. Again what they are is dependent on your area. I live in a heavy rock area. So I have two FFC Preparators to install lawns. We do a lot of concrete removal so we get use out of our breaker. It takes either a lot of money or time to get the equipment you want/need. I didn't have the money so I have been adding equipment/attachments every year and I have been at it for just under ten years. A dump truck is necessity. I would not consider a pickup dump truck but a 33K single axle at the mininum. Depending on what you go into you'll also want to consider compaction equipment, lasers to shoot grade, etc. I increased my income by a third by adding a mini excavator. Keep in mind that just because they (skid steers) are small compared to other types of excavation equipment the costs of doing business are no different.