PDA

View Full Version : Farm Tractor?

Hopper1124
04-28-2004, 10:02 PM
Looking for a new tractor to buy but not sure which to go for Kubota or John Deere. We have 20 acres of land that I will need to bush hog, I will also need a front end loader for dirt and other things around the farm, snow plow abilites in the winter just a kick butt tractor, whats the best brand?? Any thoughts

Thanks

JB1
04-28-2004, 11:02 PM
Bought a case ih last fall, JX95 95 horsepower pretty sweet. Some might think its too much hp, but for the money you can't go wrong.

lars
04-29-2004, 02:11 PM
I think Kubota is better in the smaller class tractors, ie compacts. The L series is the best out there and nobody can beat the GST. Once you step into larger tractors I'd go Deere or CNH. The Deere 5000 series would be good for your acerage. They also offer a 5000 "value priced" tractor. The New Holland TN series is good. I've run both and like both machines. I've run a larger Kubota but did not like it as much. A big advantage of the Deere is that it will be worth alot more than a Kubota when it comes time to sell it.

landcruiser
04-30-2004, 02:40 PM
JD and Kubota both make VERY good equipment. I have a good friend who is now retired but had a new tractor dealership and has been around them all his life. He needed a new tractor a few weeks ago so he looked into JD and Kubota only, he says they are the only 2 worth buying anymore. Through the years he has not liked Kubota because he was so "old school" and resented the Japanese in the tractor marketplace. But guess what he bought? Kubota. He needed a 80-90hp cab tractor to pull a round baler and said the M9000 Kubota was the best tractor for the money hands down. He said JD couldn't even touch it on price and he liked the Kubota better than the comparable JD model anyway. Believe me, this is a strong vote for Kubota because this guy is a mechanical genius. He's worked on and run tractors his entire life and forgot more about them than most people will ever know. It also says alot for him to bite the bullet and buy a Kubota after cussing them for years. He saw the truth. Kubota is the best tractor out there dollar for dollar. Green paint is good but many people bleed green due to tradition. Drive and compare and make a decision based on something other than paint and what your dad's dad always believed.

lars
04-30-2004, 03:51 PM
Landcruiser, you're not going to include CNH machines? I think the merger has been benifical and has resulted in better products overall. Case definitely has a better line in the under 100 hp class and haying products are better. NH has better large tractors, better combines, and a new line of tillage and planting equipment.

Hopper, I think Cases and New Hollands are tractors worth looking at. I should also mention that if you are on a budget you should consider the offerings from AGCO. I don't know too much about their equipment, but they may come in under the tractors from Deere, CNH, and Kubota.

Jagor
05-02-2004, 09:38 PM
Hopper,

If you can afford it buy a Deere machine. For parts and service backup, resale value, customer satisfaction they are second to none. Buy Quality, it lasts a lifetime!

landcruiser
05-03-2004, 12:45 PM
Jagor, Deere machines are all you say they are. But I sure hope you aren't implying Kubota is of inferior quality. They are every bit if not better than Deere.

Jagor
05-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Landcruiser,

Don't get your hackles up there Reb!
We have a soft spot in our heart for the rice burner too!
As we mentioned the only problem we have with Kubota is that they have always been featured as a secondary line for equipment dealers. Depending on the dealer, usually their commitment goes to their main line parts, sales and service which can cause secondary lines to suffer. In buying any equipment be sure the dealer is commited to the line. Especially when the service life of that piece of equipment could be 20-30 years.
We are well aware that Kubota and Deere tractor lines are still standing on their own. This says something for the stability of both as many other lines have come, gone, merged, been aquired and died horrible deaths.

arcticzl
05-03-2004, 09:59 PM
i have the L 35 and love it .its a little light for snow removal but nothing in its class beats the diging power it has

landcruiser
05-04-2004, 10:15 AM
Jagor, I didn't mean to come across abrasive. Just want to state my case on Kubota's behalf. I have had many experiences with Kubota and Deere's and see that some models are better in one brand or the other. I have family members (as do many of us) that bleed John Deere Green and won't see it any other way because they are scared to try something different. I just want this poster to know they should be open to orange Kubota paint and decide for themself what suits their needs.

xcopterdoc
05-04-2004, 11:49 PM
At least the Kubotas are metal... last JD I worked on was all plastic crap with a Jap engine... whats the point of paying extra for the JD green color?? JMHO...

SodKing
05-04-2004, 11:59 PM
I pick up my new Kubota B7800 tomorrow. Adding it to the Kubota fleet we seem to be accumulating.

snooks
05-08-2004, 10:53 PM
JD Compacts are made by Yanmar which is a Japanese made tractor. I have owned a grey market 30HP Yanmar with a Koyker Loader and absolutly love it. Got it for a fraction of the price of a JD. Mine is a twin to the JD 950. JD quality without the JD price. Be careful though, some dealers are misrepresenting these units. Do your home work and find a good dealer.