PDA

View Full Version : flower bed with grass

SERRICO
04-29-2004, 11:51 AM
one of my commercial customer has a flowerbed (5x40) that is full of weeds and grass.
In order to renovate that what do you suggest.:confused:

Cleatus
04-29-2004, 02:26 PM
chop them down, mulch over them. sell him on monthly maintenance.

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-29-2004, 03:49 PM
I would hit it with my MANTIS, mulch and maintain.....

Derek

grasswhacker
04-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Pull them, chop them and they will return. Try to spray them and kill the root. Roots left become weeds and some will even multiply exponentially if not removed completely. After the weeds and grass are dead then preen and mulch. Doing it right the first time makes happy clients.

blafleur
04-29-2004, 10:40 PM
Being in Texas, there's almost gotta be bermuda in there. Spraying a couple of times with Roundup or some other non selective herbicide is the only way I know of to get rid of that demon. Any you leave in there will haunt your maintenance program forever.

Bryan

Ice_Gargoylle
04-30-2004, 11:41 PM
spray with round up and fusilade...fusilade pre-emerge for flowers. round-up, till, fusilade, you wuill have to water pre-emerge in, unless it rains.

very important...annuals wont grow well in MOST pre-emergents.

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-01-2004, 05:25 AM
SERRICO are you licensed to do chemicals???

GarPA
05-01-2004, 06:10 AM
I would spray R-up first...wait until they start to burn down and then till the area with a Mantis-like machine. And as others mentioned above, you need to sell them on ongoing weed/grass control in the beds

IndyPropertyCare
05-01-2004, 08:48 AM
Dont forget the > WEED barrier < :rolleyes:

D Felix
05-01-2004, 10:11 AM
Under bark mulch, DO NOT use weed barrier.

Under stone mulch, use it there.

Weed barrier will do nothing to stop weed seed that is blown into the beds, and the weeds will root through the barrier, making it even harder to pulll them. Plus, it will not allow the breakdown of the mulch to incorporate into the soil, meaning in a few years, you will have a foot of mulch on top of the barrier.

Weed barrier in bark mulch equates to Round-up and a pre-emergent, with the latter doing most of the work.

Dan

blafleur
05-01-2004, 03:30 PM
I agree with D Felix, I never use it in beds except under gravel or stone. It is ok short term, but in the long run you will cuss it, especially if you have to renovate. You just cant stop new seeds from blowing in.

Bryan