PDA

View Full Version : Digging foundations

coopers
04-29-2004, 10:24 PM
So what exactly is there to digging foundations for homes and such? What do you have to take into consideration and just how exactly is it done? I mean, I know that surveying is involved and that trackhoes are used, I just want to know if there's more to it that I would need to know. I'm just curious because I'm not sure where to learn this and from who. I want to learn so that I know for future reference if I ever have to dig one when I own my own excavation business when I get older. Thanks guys!

Blake
WA

Tigerotor77W
04-29-2004, 11:04 PM
Various pipelines -- gas and plumbing are main ones. Mostly they get specced out to utility or private contractors, however. Also, crawlspaces (basically half-height ceilings) require different digging. Who knows. Maybe in different soil conditions, there are different depths required. *shrugs*

mrusk
05-02-2004, 10:04 PM
The only way your going to learn how to dig them properly is to work with a excavator and learn how.

Matt

martinw
05-03-2004, 11:30 PM
IMHO digging foundations is nothing hard. What is hard is the survey, water/power enterances, other objects (some fireplaces/other structures require a couple holes dug for additional supporting to be poured. If you dig the ditch too wide it can be formed up with plywood before being poured (but it cost more to do). They do need to be dug fairly level (so a water level or other device needs to be used, this is fairly easy to do).

If you are doing this for a contractor they can make your job real easy or hard (depending on how much they explain and "assist" you with advice).

Just some advice: If you think that you want to own an excavating business at some point the BEST thing you can do is to gain employment with one. You will learn a lot including footings, but also land clearing, road/ditch install, road grading, septic, water, and sewer install, ect.,ect...

ayyo
06-18-2004, 12:59 AM
get the plan from the engineer, a laborer and a laser. figure out all your grades and go to town with the excavator. they are all different, some you can finish in a day or less and others will make you want to quit your day job. the form guys will come to pour the foundation walls and footings and then you put the stone in on the bottom to bring the inside up to grade. i did one a year ago and it was pretty frickin big. it was an addition onto a contemporary house that looked like a condo by itself you know. anyways the foundation footing was all the same level but once the walls were poured we had to set the stone at different heights for different areas within the foundation walls.