PDA

View Full Version : Driveline "drag"

3/4tonTodd
12-05-2000, 02:02 PM
My truck seems to have excessive "drag" when trying to "coast" down the street when I'm in gear (TH350 tranny). Even on level streets I have to maintain pressure on the accelerator to keep a constant speed. If I take my foot off it's almost like I'm putting the brakes on. When I shift into neutral the truck coasts just fine. This is my first 4wd so I'm not sure if this is normal behavior due to all the extra parts or if it is an indication of a problem. By the way, I have the NP203 full time case. It doesn't seem to have been converted to part time in the case, but I do have hub lockouts. I've heard of a kit that adds something to the front pumpkin when adding lockouts, but I don't know if this truck has that or not - haven't had that cover off yet. Any ideas??

Thanks!

Todd

4x4k20
12-05-2000, 08:05 PM
todd it sounds like you have the 4x4 locked in the high side as far as you having locking hub on the front they just unlock the hub from the axleshaft if the transfer case does not have the part time kit the front driveshaft will pull all the timeand the axle shafts will turn it does cause a slight drag when you let off the gas i would get it checked or you will wind with a burnt up tranmission or tcase

3/4tonTodd
12-06-2000, 01:34 PM
The tranny is pretty much ready for replacement right now. It has a rather large leak, but one I'm trying to manage until college graduation next July - I don't think I'll make it that long, but hopefully at least through winter. There's nothing like changing a transmission in an unheated environment!! (I can get one for $285 from a professional rebuilding shop - good price??)

I almost positive that it's not stuck in 4wd. (See my post aobut my shifter lever for more info.)

About the part time/full time conversion, though. A guy at work was telling me about a kit that went into the front pumpkin. With this kit the front driveshaft would still turn, of course. I'm assuming that this isn't the best way to go, and evetually I'm going to get the case itself switched to part time. I guess right now I just want to make sure my whole driveline isn't going to explode into pieces.

Thanks!

Todd

4x4k20
12-06-2000, 08:12 PM
$285 IS A FAIR PRICE.THE PART TIME KIT YOU NEED FOR YOUR TRUCK ONLY COST $100 IT INSTALLS IN THE REAR OF THE TRANSFER CASE EVEN COMES WITH NEW HUBS NO NEED TO GO INTO THE FRONT DIFF.HAVE NEVER HEARD OF SUCH THE FRONT DRIVE SHAFT DOES NOT TURN WITH THIS KIT YOU CAN GET IT FROM SUMMIT OR JC WHITNEY MADE BY MILEMARKER.