PDA

View Full Version : dwarf apple trees not blossoming

BDC
04-30-2004, 02:25 PM
I have 2 dwarf apple trees about 5 years old. Last year fruit was sparse on one and nothing on the other. Killing frost was not a factor, I dont think. My peach and pear bear fruit fine, any suggestions?

Ric
04-30-2004, 08:30 PM
BDC

I am 1,500 miles south of you and we don't grow apples in Florida. So I am just throwing out an Idea.

Fruit trees are very sensitive when in bloom. Therefore we don't spray or fertilize them until after the fruit has set. If we want to stop fruit production on Fruit trees we spray them while they are in blossom. This throws them into shock and they will not bloom for many years to come. We do this to prevent rats or rodents from eating the fruit that is never harvested. The tree still looks good and serves as a shady tree.

Now could you of sprayed of fertilized that tree when it was in blossom.

grasswhacker
04-30-2004, 10:33 PM
You have to spray pre bloom, during bloom, and post bloom. Then every two weeks for another few times.

Try root pruning the trees, and if that does not work move them to another location. They may not like where they are. Also you might try to drill holes with an auger and fill with sand and fertilizer.

GW