View Full Version : Downspouts

04-30-2004, 04:53 PM
I am burying my downspouts and cannot find an adaptor that will allow me to connect the 3" x 4" downspout to a 4" plastic drain tile. I can however find an adaptor for 3" drain tile. My questions are: Does anyone know where I can find 3" x 4" adaptors and if not can I use 3" drain tile? I have a 3,000 sq ft roof with 7 down spouts. Each will have its own drain tile. Also do I use perforated or solid tile? I don't want the perforated right next to the foundation.

04-30-2004, 04:55 PM
How far out are you trying to direct the water from the foundation?


04-30-2004, 04:59 PM
Each will be about 40 feet. There is a nice slope in each direction.

04-30-2004, 05:03 PM
You should be able to find an adapter at Lowe's or HD. If not then run you elbow into the pipe and use self tapping metal screws to attach.


04-30-2004, 05:06 PM
HD does not carry this size. No Lowes in Wisconsin yet. I suppose I could just run the downspout into the tile but I wanted a cleaner look.

04-30-2004, 06:20 PM
Ok check to see if HD has an accordian type diverter. It will fit the elbow and extend anywhere from 18" to 3'. The use a connector to hook it up to the corrigated pipe.

05-01-2004, 02:10 AM
What if you used a grate drain?

05-01-2004, 10:07 AM
I get the adapters at a sprinkler supply. I use solid pipe for gutter hookups.


D Felix
05-01-2004, 11:23 AM
We get most of our drainage supplies at E.J. Prescot. If you don't have one of those, well, don't go to the big-box store, try a (gasp) Ace Hardware. I know it is hard to believe that there are other stores out there, but there are.... Man, I'm in a mood today for some reason, sorry about the sarcasm....

My local Ace and Do-it Best hardware stores both carry fittings/connections for 4" pipe, as do the lumberyards and TSC.

If you can't find corrugated pipe adaptors, run them into solid PVC such as schedule 40, you should be able to find those adaptors. Put a 90 degree elbow in the PVC once its under the surface, then another 6" piece of PVC off of the elbow. Adapt from the PVC to the corrugated using an internal coupler made for the corrugated. Break the tabs off of the end that you put into the PVC, so they don't catch debris as it flows by and causes a clog.

As for 3", try to avoid using it if at all possible. It's harder to find fittings for it if you ever cut it. I'm not sure about flow capabilities either. A 4" will obviously handle more though.

Use solid pipe, not perforated. Perforated will just let silt and tree roots in, unless you want to use perforated and then turn a somewhat easy project into a much harder one...


05-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Thanks, I found some 4" adaptors. Also thanks for the advise on the solid pipe it makes sense. Do you guys just leave the end open or do you put a grate in the end?

D Felix
05-04-2004, 08:50 PM
If you are draining to a ditch, where the end will come basically straight out, put a grate on the end.

If you are draining into a yard, when you get to where you want to end, put a 90 degree elbow on the pipe, then run the pipe to the surface. Cut off flush with grade, and yes, put in a grate. Not only does this look better than a "lawn mower cut" pipe, it also serves to keep bunnies and other animals out of the pipe.

Animals in pipe === clogged pipe=== backed up downspouts.... Not good anyday!