PDA

View Full Version : Powered auguers

meets1
04-30-2004, 07:55 PM
I am looking at purchasing one. Sthill, red max, efco, are the ones I am looking at. Red Max is the highest sthill is lowest. Lookig at the 6 and 8 inch auguer. Any suggestions!

meets1
05-01-2004, 10:17 PM
I can't believe this site! No one have one or use them besides for ice fishen?!

twwlawn
05-01-2004, 10:24 PM
I use a Earthquake, 3hp, 8" & 10" augers. I been using this for over eight years, run strong, use Opti-2 mix. I never used the other brands you mentioned.

D Felix
05-02-2004, 09:19 AM
Only one I've used is the Echo engine drill. Got it from Leonards. The power unit had plenty of power for the auger (8"?) we had. Too much in fact, 'cause it twisted the bit off of the top of the auger.

Got it fixed with an extension, had a local welding shop machine a piece of mild steel to fit in the shaft, and it worked for a while. Twisted the bit off again.... Had it fixed again, this time the new extension was high strength steel, and the end for the bit was machined down in a conical shape before the bit was machined. AFAIK, it's still going this way, but it's been over a year and a half since I've seen it. The extension helped a lot, 'cause without it, even our shortest Hispanic had to bend way over to use it. There was no hope for me, as I'm a little over 6' tall!

There were a couple of things I didn't like about the Echo. First one was the auger kept slipping out of the chuck, no matter how tight we made it, even going around to all three holes in the chuck. Second, after it was somewhat well used/abused for a season or so, you could not get the reverse to engage. Last, for most of us, being right handed, the right hand is on top, running the throttle, while the left is down on the side, holding the side handle. After a while, the cast aluminum piece of the housing where the side handle screws into tends to break off. This leaves you with the hole on the right side, making you run the auger backwards from how you would normally do it.

For the reasons above, I like the way the augers attach to the Stihls, though I haven't looked at them for a while. IIRC, you couldn't get an 8" auger for them, though that could have changed in the last year or so... I have no other input on Stihls or the other brands though.

Dan

meets1
05-04-2004, 09:31 PM
I purchased one. I went with the efco. 37.7 cc engine & 8" augur. Now time to make some $$ with it! Red max was next choice but my dealer gave me prices and there was $240 difference b/t machines.