PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping job

sgallaher
04-30-2004, 09:30 PM
Well here are some pictures of a job we just finished. We built the walls using EP Henry English Garden Wall blocks, planted the plants, installed the walkway, and laid the sod.

sgallaher
04-30-2004, 09:32 PM
Here is another picture.....

sgallaher
04-30-2004, 09:33 PM
and another.........

sgallaher
04-30-2004, 09:34 PM
last one................

ElephantNest
04-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Very nice looking, straight lines, good color scheme......nice work.

~Nest

earthtool
05-01-2004, 12:56 AM
Did the home owner request the walk width?

sgallaher
05-01-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by earthtool
Did the home owner request the walk width?

What do you mean? They wanted the slate steps to be 3 wide ate the stoop and then 2. So yes, is that's what you mean.

RedWingsDet
05-01-2004, 11:49 PM
how do you get the "walls" to be so even? when ever i lay the brick edging it takes like 3-4hrs to do 30feet cause i dig out 6inches, fill 3 with slag, then barry them 3in down so 3in is sticking out then i lay em on top, but i always get my level to make sure their straight, but it takes soo long to make sure its level, do any of you fellers have tips?

my father reccomended using a string and line level.

btw that looks awsome

MudslinginFX4
05-02-2004, 12:14 AM
Nice job, I really like the wall.

sgallaher
05-02-2004, 12:03 PM
It does take time to get it all straight and level. It took two guys about 2 1/2 days to build the wall. We use levels and string lines. Thanks.

capital
05-02-2004, 03:39 PM
I am sorry to say this but do not see any added value to the work you did. IE was this your design or the clients ?

lawnguyland
05-02-2004, 05:08 PM
it's good work, but the design and plant installation are so so.

D Felix
05-02-2004, 06:24 PM
I would have to agree with the last two posts... The walls turned out well, but I'm not sure I would have used that color... I don't know what other colors are available from that manufacturer, but that red really stands out. And not necessarily in a good way....

As tall as the house is, it needs some trees in the yard!

Dan

launboy
05-02-2004, 06:39 PM
that walkway is going to be a pita when it comes time to shovel the snow.
looks good though

GreenMonster
05-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Sorry, I tend to agree with some of the more recent posts. I think Dan is right in saying some shrubs or trees with height would work better with that big house. I think a nice variety of perennials would add some needed color as well.

Also, I'm much more partial to nice flowing curves. I think the straight lines are kinda bland.

The wall does look good, although I don't particularly care for the color.

Dan, I'm glad you calmed down a little from your "curbing post" before replying here :p

D Felix
05-02-2004, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I thought about saying more, but bit my tongue, er, fingers!:rolleyes::)

Dan

houston
05-02-2004, 07:23 PM
Maybe things are different in Delaware, but down here in Texas it is a no no to have a bed up against an outside wall. It is preferred to not have dirt or mulch within the top 2 inches of the slab. Do you have weep holes up there? Termites (down here) would love to have all of that mulch and dirt to live in and enter the house where you could not see them.

:nono:

It sure is a beautiful wall though. :)

PrecisionYardworks
05-02-2004, 07:42 PM
I think it looks great. I am trying to get into doing walls how do u guys charge for that. Id really love to know. A buddy of mine is really good at brick pavers so he is gonna give me a hand any pricing info would be great.

sgallaher
05-03-2004, 07:20 PM
The home owner picked out the color of the wall and the stone. They do not like curves and wanted right angles. The walk was already there but curved and we straightened it out because the home owner wanted it straight. It might be hard to tell in the pic but the plants that are there do grow big but we planted 'baby' plants to keep the cost down. I think there are about 30 perennials in the beds, they just have not flowered yet. I too prefer curves and sloping lines but the home owner wanted it straight. The wall to the right of the front door was curved all the way around but we had to change it and make it with a 90 degree angle by the sidewalk. There are two trees in the yard (homeowner bought them) They have strict rules in there development and are not allowed to have anything tall. It took over one week for the civic assoc to look at the estimate. But yes the home owner picked out the colors and the design and plants. But I still like it even thought it is straight. :rolleyes:

dmbmikee
05-11-2004, 09:17 AM
Wow great work! Very precise and great color choices!