PDA

View Full Version : Mycorrhizal Applications

kthhayes
05-02-2004, 12:46 PM
I anyone familier about ogmenting turf care with mycorrhizae, how to do this, when to do this, and what results are to be expected? We use mycorrhizae when planting gardens, as well as trees, and it makes an extreem difference, but how to get it into turf?

I love not haveing to sell organics!!!

timturf
05-03-2004, 08:02 PM
check out roots products, main offive in salem, va

timturf
05-03-2004, 08:32 PM
www.novozymes.com

8-2-6,12-2-12,14-3-5,15-3-8, 20-2-8, contain 6 microbes, and are organic base fert, which means they contain organics, mined products, and sythetic products.

3-3-4 endoRoots, contains poultry manure, ferrous sulfate, and potash sulfate, plus kelp meal,humas, vitamins, amino-acids, and endomycorrhiza spores

have other granular products and liquid products

PRICEY

kthhayes
05-03-2004, 10:14 PM
The product I am useing this year is a 20-4-10 and will cover 10,000sqft for $10.50, It is working very well for us, and the product we used last year was 4-6-4 at a cost of $16 per 2000sqft, so I would like to find somone who might know about mixing the two products. Two make another trip out, I would have to charge more, if I can mix them, less time more profit.

timturf
05-04-2004, 10:27 AM
LIST THE INGREDIENTS FOR EACH PRODUCT AND THE RATE YOU APPLY? What % is win, slowly available, or controlled slow release/

If you apply both at the same time, what is the rate of each and dates of application?

neal-wolbertsinc
05-12-2004, 03:30 AM
to kthhayes...Myco-Apply in Oregon has a micronized endomycorrhizae that can be applied to turf by spray and watered in. Inexpensive and effective in aiding the uptake of water and nutrients. Mix with 8 oz. Supertrace 6% iron fulvic acids based micronutrients and 1 oz. Soilseeds microbial innoculant 1000/sq. ft. (see wolberts.com, click on Plant Essentials L.L.C. logo) and you have a "full meal deal" soil amendment.

Spikewheeler
11-12-2010, 04:50 PM
I anyone familier about ogmenting turf care with mycorrhizae, how to do this, when to do this, and what results are to be expected? We use mycorrhizae when planting gardens, as well as trees, and it makes an extreem difference, but how to get it into turf?

I love not haveing to sell organics!!!

PM me and I will let you know of an excellent way to get it to root level and see all good results
Thanks
George

ICT Bill
11-12-2010, 05:21 PM
That post is 6 years old, he probably got his answer by now

if you notice all of the products mentioned had phosphorous included, if you want a fertilizer you can get them much cheaper wholesale from a local source and forget the mycorrhizae

Every mycologist that I come in contact with I ask the same question "what are the effects of applied phosphorous to mycorrhizae?" they all say the same thing it is very distructive to the symbiotic association often the result is dead mycorrhizae

when phos is applied the plant is scooping it up and it no longer need the symbiotic relationship as a result the plant no longer feeds the fungi and the association breaks down

phos is one of the major nutrients that is mined by these fungi but there is more evidence that thy mine up to 15 nutrients and give them to the plant

starry night
11-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Yipes! Another zombie thread. Thanks for noticing that Bill. Sometimes I start reading without looking at the date.

So you think the OP really has his answer after six years? :)

Spikewheeler
11-12-2010, 05:58 PM
That post is 6 years old, he probably got his answer by now

if you notice all of the products mentioned had phosphorous included, if you want a fertilizer you can get them much cheaper wholesale from a local source and forget the mycorrhizae

Every mycologist that I come in contact with I ask the same question "what are the effects of applied phosphorous to mycorrhizae?" they all say the same thing it is very distructive to the symbiotic association often the result is dead mycorrhizae

when phos is applied the plant is scooping it up and it no longer need the symbiotic relationship as a result the plant no longer feeds the fungi and the association breaks down

phos is one of the major nutrients that is mined by these fungi but there is more evidence that thy mine up to 15 nutrients and give them to the plant

Yeah I guess I did not notice the year myself. I had the link sent to me
Oh well

Kiril
11-13-2010, 10:18 AM

Awwww, come on Bill. Didn't Tim and I just cover this recently? Cut and dry statements like this do no one any good.

Not necessarily

Links please.

Heatstroke
12-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Hey Bill,

Do your comments about Phos applications apply only to synthetic/quick release/water soluble material or could 100% organic fertilizers that contain phos cause the same issues? Specifically, in soils that already have the good amounts(30 - 50ppm) of phos should it be avoided? If so, then is CGM at a 9-0-0 npk the best fert for soils that already have plenty is phos and potssium?

Thanks

ICT Bill
12-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Hey Bill,

Do your comments about Phos applications apply only to synthetic/quick release/water soluble material or could 100% organic fertilizers that contain phos cause the same issues? Specifically, in soils that already have the good amounts(30 - 50ppm) of phos should it be avoided? If so, then is CGM at a 9-0-0 npk the best fert for soils that already have plenty is phos and potssium?

Thanks

If you are trying to support the native or applied mycorrhizae then applying phos is not a good idea, I know it is couterintutive to most, but frankly phos is being phased out all over the country unless from an organic source like compost (well some states have even banned any source which is short sighted IMO)

"best fert" is hard to say, but CGM certainly works as an N source as does fish, alfalfa, soy, composted manures, ect

If you are trying to build fertile soils diversity is key and good to great FINISHED compost is the top of the heap in my humble opinion, fall is the best time to apply

do not apply a high N product in the beginning of the season unless you like to mow grass every 4 days, you can use CGM as a fertilizer at 10 lbs per 1000 but just do it as the grass is running out of the stored nutrients from fall, in zone 7 or 6 that happens in late May or early June, also coinciding with the germination of warm season weeds like crabgrass