PDA

View Full Version : my tranny?

cowboy
12-05-2000, 10:08 PM
Well has anybody ever had this happen?

In the morning, when my truck is cold I put it in reverse and it barely goes and it won't go up any incline. So I have to do a little 360, put it in drive and take off. When I get to college I can back up a hill or anything!

anybody have any ideas?
its a Turbo 350 connected to a 250 I6

Cowboy

mike reeh
12-07-2000, 09:06 PM
so...... it wont grab in reverse? but its fine in drive? Sounds like a rebuild is comin your way :/

If its slipping in forward and reverse, then I would change the filter (and fluid) before you do anyhthing drastic (or expensive)

good luck, keep us posted.

mike reeh

cowboy
12-08-2000, 12:02 AM
it engages in reverse but doesn't barely go, (George Bush Sentence there). its not really slipping that I can tell.

Never does it in forward gears, doesn't do it when truck is warm....thats why I can figure it out. Need ideas, don't want to get the tranny flushed to find out its toast and be out 100$.

thanks for the help

Adam

3/4tonTodd
12-08-2000, 02:03 AM
I could have written the exact same thing about my TH350 tranny - doesn't like to back up when cold. I have to park carefully when I get to college so I don't have to back out of a parking spot.

One thing to note, though - if you drain that tranny fluid and just replace the filter and refill the tranny sometimes it does more damage than leaving it alone. I don't know the details on this, but that's what I've been told by several people. Check with Chuck or John DiMartino, or some of the other guys before you dump that tranny fluid.

I'm trying to nurse mine along at least until spring, but I don't think I'll make it that long.

Good luck with yours!

Todd

Fierospeeder
12-08-2000, 09:24 AM
ive heard that story also,
because the fluid is "chunky" and it keeps the clearances between the parts like it use to be. Changes the fluid makes the spaces between parts greater.

I think the clutches in the automatics go out and cause the vehicle to shift softer, and more slippage. I know that heat will destroy clutches, and heat will also make the atf less effective and your suppose to change it more frequently.

cowboy
12-08-2000, 05:26 PM
you guys aren't giving me the right answer!

your suppose to say look at it cross eyed while it snows on saturday at 3:32 pm for 12.5 seconds and it will be cured!

well the person who gave me the truck (my grandpa) said it was never replaced and the truck has 332,000 on it, and it was used to tow heavy last year.

I'm just trying to figure out why when it is warm it doesn't do it?

oh well
Adam

Power mad
12-08-2000, 09:39 PM
Go to the carb thread. Chris Lucas gave a site that has forum links. Go to the chevy talks one. I believe they addressed that problem in the 73-87 forum and the performance related forum. And it's a cool site to check out.

cowboy
12-08-2000, 10:04 PM
Hey Thanks ALOT!!!!

this looks like I will get to the bottom of it!!@!!!!!

thanks again!

Cowboy