PDA

View Full Version : cherry blossom tree

lightreins
05-02-2004, 08:14 PM
OK, I know this unusual for a lawn site, but I can not find info anywhere. I have been to every garden place, and farm supply place around, been online for hours and still no luck. I have a cherry blossom tree, it is not a fruit bearing tree, and it is dying. I have no idea why. No noticeable fungus, or pests. I have taken samples to many places, ( bark, limb cutting, leaves) and no one can help me figure it out. The only "new" thing is that the bark or trunk and limbs seem to have more raised areas then before. I thought some type of insect infestation, but I sprayed for everything and still this tree is dying. ANyone have any idea where I can find some help on this? Thanks!;)

D Felix
05-02-2004, 10:32 PM
What are the symptoms? Is it dying from the top down, the bottom up, one side to the other, how? That is very important to know.

First thing that comes to mind after seeing "no noticeable fungus or pests" is that you have root problems....

Was the area around the tree recently disturbed? How long ago was the tree planted/how old is the tree? Is there a flat spot on part of the tree trunk near the ground? How much mulch is around the base of the tree? Is there weedeater damage? How much fertilizer has the tree been given (counting what's been applied to the lawn around it)?

Have you taken a sample to your local extension agent? Sent a sample and picture to your state plant and pest diagnostic lab? I would have to assume that your state land grant university would have one, Purdue does...

Can you post a picture of the tree? Sometimes pictures can answer these questions much quicker than you can....

I know you didn't get a definate answer here, but if you can post a pic, and answer the questions I asked, it would help to narrow down the possible causes.

Dan

jwholden
05-02-2004, 10:39 PM
Can you post a picture of the tree?

lightreins
05-03-2004, 07:18 PM
Here are some photos from today. To answer your questions Dan,
first it is dying from the top as you can hopefully see in the photos. The tree is around 15-20 years old, no the area around it has not been disturbed in the past 2 years, which is about how long we have been trying with this tree. No flat areas near the trunk, and the mulch is 2 inches deep, but about 1" off of the trunk in a type of "moat" so as to not cause a rot problem. The "tree doctor" who came out when this started two years ago said it was gypsy moths, and he trimmed off some branches and sealed them. He sprayed the tree and we repeated it as he directed. However we never saw any tents from the moths or the moths. After the limbs he cut is when the tree seemed to really begin to do poorly. No I have not taken it to any university, but I am going to try some places now thanks to your advice. I hope these pics post. Thank you all for the help, I really love this tree and hope I can save it. But now the neighbor down the raod said termites?

lightreins
05-03-2004, 07:24 PM
here is another showing the top

AGLA
05-04-2004, 06:31 AM
I think your trunk shots just show normal lenticels that are found on most cherries. In my area these are generally short lived trees and tend to have the very symptoms you are describing. Hopefully your extension service will find something out for you.

PS. You might want to try a different tree doctor.

D Felix
05-04-2004, 07:45 PM
Lenticels are normal, as AGLA stated...

If the tree is dying from the top down, you have root problems, most likely. The first place I would look is for a girdling root. Try digging carefully by hand around the base of the tree and see if there is a root growing around the trunk. If there is, remove as much of it as you can.

If you don't find a girdling root, I still think it's root problems...

Try to find an arborist to look at the tree. Preferrably a consulting arborist, but they are sometimes hard to find and are usually very busy. Here in Indiana, we only have 2 consultings, if that gives you an idea on how hard they are to find.... If you can't find a consulting, get a certified arborist to look at it.

Go to http://www.isa-arbor.com and once inside the site, click on the "find an arborist" link. This will get you a list of certified's in your area. To find a consulting, try http://www.asci.net or .org, or .com (my memory is pretty thin on this one...) to find a consulting arborist. It may be www.asca.net /.com/.org, I dunno...

HTH.

Dan

lightreins
05-05-2004, 07:19 AM
Thank you all so much, I will let you know what happens