PDA

View Full Version : wall

randy2625
05-02-2004, 10:08 PM
i have this house that needs 5 terraced sections of retaining wall blocks each on 5 feet high do i need to put drain tile in or can i just put gravel behind it to keep pressure off it.

capital
05-02-2004, 10:48 PM
Suggest you forget about building this wall if you are asking the above question. Hire someone who knows what they are doing and learn from them and start on a smaller wall to gain experience.

randy2625
05-02-2004, 10:59 PM
i have done smaller walls but not a bigger wall like this thats what im trying to do is learn im not gonig to pass a job up worth this much money.

D Felix
05-02-2004, 11:42 PM
It's not worth much if you don't know what you are doing.

There's a big difference between building a wall that's 2' high versus 5' high.

Do a little searching and see what you find. I agree with capital, hire a sub to build them, mark up what they charge so you make a little money, and learn from them.

We are going to be preparing a bid soon to remove and replace 2 three-year-old walls that were not installed correctly... Rough guess before we get into it, is that it's going to be in the nieghborhood of $30k.... And the company that put it in will be cussed the entire time, not only by us, but the homeowner.

Remember, bad reputations last a long time in this business....

And explain why you think simply putting gravel behind the wall would be adequate....

Dan

randy2625
05-03-2004, 12:17 AM
im not sure that it would be adequate tahts what im trying to find out. i know it is a big job but if i take my time and do it right then i will have no worrys. i have been reading for the last couple of days. i know it will probley have to have drain tile because we get so much rain here im just trying to figure out how im going to run it all. and it probley will need a support system since it is abve 4'.

ckf
05-03-2004, 12:36 AM
Your also going to need an engineer to design the wall system since it is over 4' tall which is going to cost some bucks to begin with. I agree with the other posts to either let some one who knows what they are doing do it or sub it out to someone who does and make a little profit off of them as well as learning how to do it. If you have never done one like this before, you are asking for a lawsuit from the owner of the property. When using a "support system", as you put, it involves a lot more than just laying out the fabric. For instance, do you know which way the pattern in the geo textile fabric is supposed to be layed out? If not, DO NOT DO THIS JOB. You will be asking for trouble if you do. I am not tryong to be harsh but rather trying to save you from a ton of headaches.

randy2625
05-03-2004, 12:45 AM
well then why dont i just make the wall 4' high and solve all the problems since it is not over ...

creativedan
05-03-2004, 12:51 AM
why does an engineer have to design the wall?? just curious or is that local ordinance or something?

ckf
05-03-2004, 12:53 AM
This is what I was/am going by

"i have this house that needs 5 terraced sections of retaining wall blocks each on 5 feet high do i need to put drain tile in or can i just put gravel behind it to keep pressure off it."

I have a few questions for you before I call it a night and check back tomorrow

1) If you change the wall height from 5' to 4', do you have enough room to allow for proper set back of each wall?

2)Can you change the wall heights without drastically changing what was trying to be accomplished in the first place?

3)What does your state and local codes allow for before being required to use geo-grid/engineer?

4)Regardless of how high each wall is, have you planned far enough ahead to know how you are going to create the benches to work off of to create the walls?

5)Do you have station marks to know where to set the base course heights?

6)With that many terraces/walls, where are you going to empty the drain pipes/stone into?

7) Why wouldn't you put a drain pipe behind any wall regardless of how tall it is? Hydrostatic pressure can be huge!

ckf
05-03-2004, 12:57 AM
creativedan,

Almost every manufacturer of retaining wall block requires that you use an engineered wall system after a certain height. Some systems call for them after 3' in height. It all has to do with what loads their wall systems can handle before backfill and stabilization fabric/material needs to be addressed. There is a lot more to it than that but it would take up too much room

randy2625
05-03-2004, 12:58 AM
yes it will change it but not that much i figured it to be 4 anyway i would just think it would be easy and less expensive to make it 5'.this job isnt for a month so no i havnt setup marks yet.i still have to make a good drawing of it. im still working on how im going to drain all of the pipes that is my one problem.yes your right drain should always be put behind walls but i have seen people not do it.

D Felix
05-03-2004, 09:09 AM
yes your right drain should always be put behind walls but i have seen people not do it
In addition to no geo-grid, this is the other 50% of the reason we will be coming up with a bid to remove and replace the walls I previously mentioned.

Randy, you are only 17. Listen to your elders on this one! If you are talking about 5' tall walls, you are/should be also talking about moving significant amounts of soil. This will require equipment, and I have a feeling that a 17 year-old won't be able to rent that equipment....

Are these walls going to be 5 individual walls that are each placed in different areas around the home? Or, are they 5 walls that will be "stacked" on top of each other, in the traditional sense of terracing?

If the latter, do you know what the proper spacing between walls is?

I applaud your enthuisiasm, but pass on this for now, please!

Dan

creativedan
05-03-2004, 11:28 PM
Thanks CKF

didnt know that, all i do is small wall around raised beds or berms nothing to big, for now any way

dan