PDA

View Full Version : Tandem or Single alxe?

WoodBrothersLC
05-03-2004, 07:39 AM
I am not sure whether to get a single axle or double if I will have the following on it
Scag 48" TIger Cub
Encore 48" Proline"
1 or 2 push mowers
What should I get a single or double axle?

MOW ED
05-03-2004, 07:46 AM
I started with a single axle 10' and outgrew it almost immediately. I bought a 14' tandem and like it alot but can my next one will be a 16' tandem. More carrying capacity with a dual. Safer and more convenient. Easier to back.
You can't stretch it once you buy it so buy it for the future.

grass_cuttin_fool
05-03-2004, 08:07 AM
I have about the same set up right now, I have a 6.5x12 single axle with a 3500 lb axle and it is full. The advantage of a single axle in virginia is no state inspection and brakes to maintain.The advantage of a tandem is you can carry more equipment and weight, plus tandems usually have brakes on 2 wheels or all four that help to stop and the trailer is more balanced. It just depends on how big your buisness is or how big you want it to get, hope this helps some

stslawncare
05-03-2004, 11:11 AM
same here if single axle dont have to get inspected.

stslawncare
05-03-2004, 11:15 AM
my boss just purchased a 14' single axle. we can fit two 61'' bob cat riders two handheld blowers and two gas cans with extra room (could easily fit two push mowersin addition). he has a trimmer trap to hold the three trimmers. anything else goes in the back of the truck. if doing mulching etc we use the stake bed and or dump trailer. he just purchased this after having a 18' trailer, it was to big to pull around and a big waste of space.