PDA

View Full Version : Stone Bed Edging - Is Sand Needed?

DFW Area Landscaper
05-03-2004, 11:33 PM
I am installing some Pavestone Edgestones http://www.pavestone.com/retail/edging-edgestone.html as bed edging and tree rings for a customer. Is it necessary to use sand at the base of the stone or can I get by with just using native clay soils? We've got about 1/3 of it installed and it looks really good. And we're getting the base fairly well compacted by using gloves to hold the stones and banging them repeatedly into the bottom of the installation trench we dug out.

Is sand necessary here? If so, why?

Thanks
DFW Area Landscaper

NCSULandscaper
05-04-2004, 12:09 AM
I would use about an inch or so just so you can get it better level and have a way to play with the blocks.

hosejockey2002
05-04-2004, 12:19 AM
Instead of sand I use paver base, either 5/8 or 3/4 crushed rock with fines, especially if the native soil is sandy or silty.

Gene $immons
05-04-2004, 11:54 PM
If it looks level at the top, then you might not need to do much more than lay the stone in your dug out footing.

Comptacting the footing, like you said, is important.

DFW Area Landscaper
05-05-2004, 11:37 PM
Yup. We finished the job today. We used a Mantis tiller with only half of the tines to dig the trenches. Then we used the actual bricks themselves and pounded the bottom of the trench repeatedly to compact the soil.

Getting the tree rings was a little b!tch. You always end up with one stone that won't fit and you have to start expanding or shrinking the tree ring until everything goes in. I think we probably averaged about 2 man hours per tree ring. Maybe 2.5.

But I am pleased with the margins on this install. It's only the second installation I've done since I got into the lawn/landscape business 17 months ago. There was a lot of guesswork involved in the pricing. So I bid high, knowing that the customer wouldn't know what the price should be either. Now that we're done, I'd guess we spend about 20 man hours on the install, including driving to various places to pick up materials. The cost of goods sold was $518 and the price to install this was $1,296.00 Cleared $778 on the job and that works out to about $38.90 per man hour. Much better than what I get mowing lawns.

Gotta start focusing more on installs.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Gene $immons
05-06-2004, 12:32 AM
DFW

Mowing can be a drag or be enjoyable. I think it depends on the properties you are on. I go with the mow crew sometimes on Friday's because we are on the best accounts.

I think mowing is good bread and butter though,

Landscaping and rock work is my best money per hour though. Chemical plans add $$$ also for little time per job.

Off topic here

I see where OSU got a real good b-ball recruit out of N.C. I believe. I don't remember his name, but he was a number one recruit

EZTarget
05-06-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by DFW Area Landscaper
The cost of goods sold was $518 and the price to install this was $1,296.00 Cleared $778 on the job and that works out to about $38.90 per man hour. Much better than what I get mowing lawns.

Gotta start focusing more on installs.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

what are you getting avg on mowing? is it less than 30/man hr?

NCSULandscaper
05-06-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Gene $immons

I see where OSU got a real good b-ball recruit out of N.C. I believe. I don't remember his name, but he was a number one recruit

They got a drug addict from high school lol.
James Curry. He lost his NC scholarship because of drug charges so he had to go to OSU.

DFW Area Landscaper
05-06-2004, 09:55 AM
++++what are you getting avg on mowing? is it less than 30/man hr?++++

It depends. I do two types of mowing services: Weekly & Bi-Weekly. Bi-Weekly service is about 40% more than weekly service. Bi-Weekly service, we gross probably $38 to $40 per man hour. Weekly service, we gross probably $28 to $30 per man hour. I hate the weekly accounts. I wish 100% of my customers were bi-weekly.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

EZTarget
05-06-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by DFW Area Landscaper
++++what are you getting avg on mowing? is it less than 30/man hr?++++

It depends. I do two types of mowing services: Weekly & Bi-Weekly. Bi-Weekly service is about 40% more than weekly service. Bi-Weekly service, we gross probably $38 to $40 per man hour. Weekly service, we gross probably $28 to $30 per man hour. I hate the weekly accounts. I wish 100% of my customers were bi-weekly.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

really? man i thought most everyone felt the exact opposite. i guess though you have enough business to have this work for you.

NickN
05-06-2004, 11:35 AM
Just a little helpful hint:
When installing edging such as this,I lay out the pattern first.Place your edging and tweak it until it's like you want it.
Then go around the perimeter with baking flour.(Doesn't hurt the grass)
Then remove the edging.Now you have a white template of where to dig.
Also,over time,those pavers will sink.Rainfall will runoff the sides and dig them in deeper.SInce you tamped the area,it will take a bit longer,but it will happen.Just use crushed stone under them to provide a place for the water to drain next time.