PDA

View Full Version : bush removal??

Scenic Lawnscape
05-04-2004, 03:21 PM
I am working on a quote as we speak and part of the job is to remove 18 rather large bushes from the area that is going to be landscaped. They are in the frt and side of the house, in the range of 4ft to 12 ft high and are around 4-5 ft in diamater. I am thinking of renting a bob-cat for the day to rip these out. So my
question is how much would you charge for the removal and disposal of these 18 bushes.

Bob-cat $175.00 a day
Chipper $150.00 a day

3 guys doing it.

thanks for the input

Rich

BSDeality
05-04-2004, 03:25 PM
a mini excavator would be better suited for removal.

DJL
05-04-2004, 06:14 PM
IMO, and trust me their will be many others, and this is just that, my opinion based on my limited experiences.

A lot depends on the type of bushes you are talking about. Some bushes have what I like to call the PITA charge. For instance, do they have thorns, needles, etc.? Some bushes have deeper tap roots while others have a very shallow root system, allowing for an easier removal. How far off the front and side of the house are they. If they are really close it is sometimes harder to get a chainsaw or other piece of equipment into tight quarters. Define "removal" and "disposal". Do you mean leave the shredded material right there, haul it to another part of the yard, or haul it off site? Also think about were gas lines, sewer lines, etc. are located.

Not sure what the bobcat is needed for.?.?.?

rough guess, ~1K

Scenic Lawnscape
05-04-2004, 07:26 PM
haul away from the site and these are just ove grown bushes no thorns, just the kind that scratch the he*l out of your arms

D Felix
05-04-2004, 09:06 PM
just the kind that scratch the he*l out of your arms
Now that helps!:rolleyes:

Have you considered cutting them down with a chainsaw, then grinding the stumps? That process worked well for us on a job a few weeks ago...

If you have a tractor, they may pull easy enough. Pulled out some sand cherries and junipers with a tractor today, and used the bucket to remove a bunch more.

If you have a lot of ground cover, either a mini-ex or a toothed bucket is best.

If they are OLD yews, don't even think about pulling them out with a tractor or skidsteer. Either dig them out with a mini-ex or grind them. Arborvitae's, on the other hand, well, you could almost yank them out by hand since they are very shallow rooted...

Personally, I would try the mini-ex, with a "thumb" attachment. Very easy to load the stumps into a trailer/truck that way. Did that a lot today too. Had both a tractor and a mini-ex on the site today. The mini-ex really wouldn't have been needed if we hadn't needed to move a fairly large tree too....

Dan

Scenic Lawnscape
05-04-2004, 09:23 PM
i think i might just cut them with a chain-saw, rent a shredder and dig around the roots get out the saws-all and cut the roots. might take a little longer but safer since it is right on top of the house

Rich

DFW Area Landscaper
05-04-2004, 11:19 PM
++++how much would you charge for the removal and disposal of these 18 bushes.++++

This is where you have a tremendous advantage. Everyone knows, or thinks, that they should be able to get their lawn mowed for twenty five bucks. But no one knows how much this should cost. So bid it high. You'll probably be glad you did. The project will either end up eating a bunch of man hours you hadn't forecasted, or you'll come in or under budget on man hours and make some decent money.

Either that, or tell them you'll charge by the hour. That's how I do a lot of my work like this. Tell them you think it'll take x number of hours, but that you've been way off before.

People like known, fixed costs, so the high firm bid is probably the way to go.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

DJL
05-04-2004, 11:27 PM
I ran into that "eating up a bunch of man-hours" ordeals last year. Rented a miniTLB to remove some stumps of 25-30 year old junipers. After I got the bid I called the hotline for getting the place marked out for utilities. Wouldn't you know I show up and the gas line is right smack under a stump. Dam thing took 2 man-hours to dig out with shovels, pick-axes, and pry-bars. Other stumps took all of 10 minutes with the backhoe.

I've learned my lesson since then. I'll go into the basement or crawlspace and look to see where lines are entering a home. This gives me a better idea of a possible PITA charge.

Gene $immons
05-04-2004, 11:46 PM
What kind of shrubs is my question.

I have been amazed at what my crew can remove by shovels and a pick-axe. We will usuakky remove the top half of the plant with a chainsaw, and then use a pick-axe to cut around the base of the plant, severing the main roots. Then, if you leave a tall enough piece of the main trunk, you can get it rocking back and forth until it "pops" loose.

Sometimes we will use the F350 to pull out toughrt stuff with a chain. The trick there is to accelerate real slow rather than hitting the gas petal at full blast.

Pricing? I'll let you decide that one.

MD Land Management
05-05-2004, 11:52 AM
Typically we cut down the bushes with a chainsaw then grind the stumps. We have found that to be the easy way, but every one is different, If you can get a bobcat in there to rip the stumps out then you can probably get in a grinder. If you get a bobcat in there what about their lawn, a grinder will not tear up the lawn nearly as bad as the bobcat. Then we just haul the bushes away in our stakebody to the dumpsite, for about 20 bucks. I would say the minimum we would charge would have to be 450 for just the removal. Havent had anyone turn down that price yet. Alot of our work involves removing old shrubbery. Good Luck

Mark
MD Landscape Management
Cherry Hill, NJ

EagleLandscape
05-05-2004, 02:03 PM
What type of truck do you have? Typically I havent really run into a bush that my truck can't pull out with a 40,000lbs tow strap. I could easily pull out one bush evrey 5 minutes with one helper to hook around the bush, and me in the truck. Now, our city will pick up all debris for free so I could never need a chipper, but just take the chipper and double the price of it, or X it by 2.5 and you got your chipper charge right there.