PDA

View Full Version : A very inefficient 3 man crew

The C Man
05-04-2004, 02:38 PM
This is the house across the street from me. It's on a corner so the lawn is mostly just the front and side. Anyway, a 3 man crew in a big truck pulls up with at least an 18' enclosed trailer and mowed it last week and it seemed like it took them too long, so this week I timed them - 18 minutes!!! That'd be fine for a solo operation but this was 3 guys. While one guy unloaded the mowers the other two stood around and watched. They had a big Grasshopper, a midsized Exmark which they didn't use but unloaded, and maybe a 36" or 48" WB with a sulky. They trim, but barely, and they don't edge. The guy with the trimmer walks around in slow motion while the other 2 are mowing and then sits down and waits for them to finish instead of grabbing the blower. It was just a horribly inefficient operation to watch.

The C Man
05-04-2004, 02:42 PM
This is the tiny back yard...

cklands
05-04-2004, 06:54 PM
I hardly ever run a three man crew because I fell that they are inefficient. But maybe this lawn happens to be close by some larger accounts that this company feels they need a three man crew on.

NNJLandman
05-04-2004, 08:25 PM
My boss and a lot of the other companies in my area all run at least 3 man crews for their lawn maint. crews. My bosses guys fly, they get lawns done real quick. So why don't you walk across the street and offer your services?

Jeff

NJemerald
05-04-2004, 08:51 PM
I run a 3 man crew... ME being the 3rd!! :D
When I'm tied up with other work, it becomes a 2 man crew.

Hey Jeff, How's the season going?

Bryan

EastProLawn
05-04-2004, 10:12 PM
A 3-man crew is the most efficient crew but only if used correctly. You definitely need someone on the crew to take charge and make these guys move.

greenedge
05-05-2004, 08:34 AM
If I were you, I would think of a way to make small talk("Meet that neighbor")also make sure they know you do lawn care, and when you least expect it , they will call you.
The lawn will be yours!

gr8cutter
05-10-2004, 02:28 AM
I am new to this industry but I think a 2 man crew can be better depending on drive time to the next account. Also the size of the account matters also.

economiclawncare
05-19-2004, 06:38 AM
three man crew is good. But i think two should start trimming and edge when one is done start using the blower and the 3rd guy should be mowing on a yard like that they should be done in 8 mins seen it done many times

Hrock
05-22-2004, 07:20 AM
I saw something simmilar the other day. I pulled up to one of my lawns and they where already cutting thiers, two gravely walk behinds and a man trimming they where just sluging around aimlessly, anyway, I finnished before them on a scamper w/ a velke, double cut and all. I would never hire a three man slack ass crew like that

dfor
05-23-2004, 06:58 PM
I could do that lawn alone in 18 minutes (probably less) 54" w/b

wonderwoman
05-29-2004, 08:20 PM
2 man crews.we run 2mc seems 2work .cut 105 yards weekly