PDA

View Full Version : policy on deposits

bobbygedd
05-04-2004, 07:21 PM
agree on a price, a plan, and the terms, and approx start date, and completion date. write it up, sign it. 50% down, remaining due at completion. anything wrong with it? how bout if we draw the contract up today, sign it today, and work will begin on monday. anything wrong with asking for a deposit today, at time of signing?

Zach76
05-04-2004, 08:27 PM
I'm with ya Bobby. No date set until 50% is in my hand.

Let it Grow
05-04-2004, 08:30 PM
Same here. I'll start the job when the contract is singed and 50% is in the bank. You can't be too careful these days. This method has worked very well for me.

WeatherMan
05-04-2004, 08:37 PM
On Jobs 10K or less we require 50% upfront no date set until the check clears. On Jobs 11K and up I do it in thirds. Third upfront, Third in the middle, Third when complete. That has been my policy since day one:cool:

bobbygedd
05-04-2004, 08:42 PM
very unusual thing happened. i met with client, devised a plan for thier backyard. told them step by step how it would be done. told him i'd type up the contract, come by, and get a signature and a deposit, and start later in the week. he says no way, no depopsit till i see some work done. i been burnt before. i'm like, well, it's our policy, period. i ended up losing a nice paying job because of it. or, he ended up losing a nice looking job, because of it. funny....he didn't trust me, but expected me to trust him...

WeatherMan
05-04-2004, 08:52 PM
Trust is a 2 way street, but honestly I trust no one

robertyb
05-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Bobby,
Did you explain to him that trust is a two way street? You are sitting there thinking "this SOB is looking to rip me a new one" while he is thinking exactally the same thing. I think in this case maybe you should have told him that your policy is for 50% down up front but you will be glad to give him several referrals to people that you have already done this type of work for. If and when he is ready to commit, give you a call. That way the door is left open for both of you. You will find in this case that they will think it over and give a call back without usually even calling the referrals simply because YOU offered them.

charlies
05-04-2004, 10:09 PM
if someone was not planning on paying you, or actually had no money in the bank to pay a deposit a the time of signing, (they are thinking they will have it covered when they get paid next week, yeah, right), then every single one of these kinds of people will have a problem with putting a deposit down up front. maybe a few honest people who actually have the money to spend will have a problem with it, but you can be sure ALL of the other type people will.

robertyb
05-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Charlies,

Let me tell you a short story. I was not paying attention to where I was going but a lot to where I had just been on my tractor a few weeks ago. I hit a tree head on and busted radiator wide open and also busted fan belt. I called a dealer and he came and picked it up and fixed it. He was supposed to leave a bill in the tool box. He forgot to do so. I went by his place to pay but he did not have a copy handy (he was busy) and said he would just mail it. That was two weeks ago. He trusts me (even though he has only done work for me once in past) and I trust him. He will get paid when he remembers to send a bill. I will have him do more work soon also (need a brake job).
Point: ???? Trust. Not everyone is out to screw eveyone else.

DFW Area Landscaper
05-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Yup. Huge red flag that he's not willing to pay money down before getting started. Perhaps he was burned by a contractor one time. His problem, not yours. Give him a list of references and move on.

I won't even mow a lawn without money down or a credit card on file. When people intend to pay you, this isn't a problem.

Later,
DFW Area Landcaper

scott in the soo
05-04-2004, 11:15 PM
i don't start a job until i get 50 per cent of the total bill....

CT18fireman
05-05-2004, 12:29 AM
I do 30% to schedule and cover materials. Another 30% when before I unload or start at the job and the final payment is billed upon completion, following customer walkthrough. Of course we always round off.

Never done deposits for lawn mowing or residential snow removal. Never had a problem here either.

bobbygedd
05-05-2004, 06:51 AM
my sister hired a proffessional painter. she had estimates starting at $1200, all the way up to his $3000 price. she hired the guy for $3000. he wanted half up front, no if's , no butt's. he took the check, and made sure it cleared first, before he would go any further than the initial estimate and consultation. now, this guy i''m talking about, went as far as to say he had prices cheaper. then he decided to hire me, then wouldn't leave a deposit. here's the deal ROBERT, i would not ever ask anybody to bend on thier policies. i recently started using a new supplier, and didn't dare ask for credit or to keep a tab. it was after 2 months of dealing with him, faithfully paying, that i asked him to keep a tab. and then gave him a check, signed, so he can cash it at anytime. you are right, not everyone is out to screw you, but, what does a crook look like? they all look the same to me

Zach76
05-05-2004, 10:02 PM
but, what does a crook look like? they all look the same to me

I think most of them have mullets. Just kidding with ya Bobby. I used to have a nice one as well.

gr8cutter
05-22-2004, 10:38 PM
bobbygd how did you faithfully pay if you did not have an account? I hope you paid or else it would be called larceny.

bobbygedd
05-23-2004, 07:22 AM
what are you talking about? what account are you talking about?

Rex Mann
05-23-2004, 12:05 PM
We collect 1/3 when we sign the contract. Then 1/3 the day we start. Then the balance. I used to do 50% when we started and 50% when done. Sometimes I had to wait on that last payment:(

Now I have 66% of the total job in my hand. Never had anyone disagree with the policy. However, I'd tell them that's the policy in place.

Peace,

Rex

our web site (http://rmstonescaping.com)

burnandreturn
05-23-2004, 12:24 PM
If a potential client doesn't ask right up front, how much or how do you expect to get paid, be careful. The person that asks is thinking of paying the one that doesn't ask is going to be "some" trouble. Dr.'s and lawyers are the worst. They will make you wait for your money before anyone else.