PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started in Landscaping?

BrandonH
05-06-2004, 06:26 PM
I've been doing the general lawn maintenance thing for a while part-time, but am trying to go full time now. Although I'm slowly building up my mowing accounts I'm looking at other aspects of the field that I could incorporate into my business. Up until now all I've ever done landscaping wise is basic bed cleaning and mulching, and I've done very little of it. I'm thinking about trying to do all aspects of landscaping including new installs, but am clueless as to where to start.

First I need to learn a lot about it before I jump into it. The last thing I want to do is get a bad rep from the start. I took a couple years of turf classes while at Texas A&M so I'm educated on that end, but have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to landscaping. What are some of the better ways to learn the art of landscaping? Are there classes that I can take or books I can read? I'm looking for input from some of you that have ample experience in the field.

Now once I learn the tools of the trade what kind of equipment do I need? I'm trying to get an idea as far as costs go to see if my idea is feasible. I'd appreciate it if anyone could start to list the various things I will need to do minor landscaping as well as new installs.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Brandon

Lombardi
05-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Work with a landscaper for a season. That will be your best training. As far as equipment, you can get by with a couple of rakes and shovels at first. When the need arises rent skidsteers, sodcutters, tillers, etc.

BrandonH
05-07-2004, 02:03 PM
I would, but that would mean having to give up my lawn business. I don't have enough time to be able to stay flexible for another boss and still work all my weekly mowing accounts into the mix.

-Brandon

Jb3NH
05-09-2004, 10:36 PM
Heres a Book you may find helpful, 'How to Start a Home-Based Landscaping Business' isbn 0-7627-0516-7 318pages of little nuggets of wisdom from 'The Globe Pequot Press' If you ever have practial application type question, i can't even begin to express how helpful this site and its members Are and Have been.

PattiD
07-01-2004, 01:22 AM
The book mentioned above I also thought was the best available. I enjoyed the author's sense of humor. If you get this, most of your questions should be answered!
Would it be possible to hire someone experienced in LS to work with you?
Are there local Vo-Tech programs there geared toward Lawn/Landscape? We have a school here that is taught at night, 5-9 pm with flexible hours and self-paced. After 1 year, students can sit for our state exam to become small-scale licensed landscape contractors (for work < $50,000 per job). Good luck!