PDA

View Full Version : Dump inserts??

Shuter
05-07-2004, 11:21 PM
I am thinking of installing a dump insert in my Chevy HD2500. Any opinions on inserts?? Thanks

Premo Services
05-07-2004, 11:48 PM
I was very interested in a insert for my truck, but I had some time this winter, and checked them out. The ezdumper was the one I checked into. The problem I have found is that you are limited to the total weight of your vehicle and for my dodge, it was a little over 2500 lbs after the weight of the dump insert and truck. Not much mulch there. So I am going to get me a dump trailer, you cam put a lot more weight in the trailer, with the proper hitch, etc.
I guess if you were not planning on putting a lot of material in there you would be alright.
Just my 2cents worth.

Premo Services
05-07-2004, 11:49 PM
I was very interested in a insert for my truck, but I had some time this winter, and checked them out. The ezdumper was the one I checked into. The problem I have found is that you are limited to the total weight of your vehicle and for my dodge, it was a little over 2500 lbs after the weight of the dump insert and truck. Not much mulch there. So I am going to get me a dump trailer, you cam put a lot more weight in the trailer, with the proper hitch, etc.
I guess if you were not planning on putting a lot of material in there you would be alright. There are numerous posts about these dump inserts here and could give you a little more insight.
Just my 2cents worth.

wriken
05-08-2004, 08:58 AM
I put a ez dump on a old trailer I had, mainly for clean-ups, but can take box off and put shorter sides on.

GLS
05-08-2004, 09:39 PM
EZ-dumper here.

Can't hardely compare a dump insert to a dump trailer. They are completely different "tools". Sure, they are great for hauling (towing) large/heavy loads, but what if you still need to carry other tools (mower etc) to the jobsite. For smaller loads, a dump insert works great IMO.

JCKL
05-08-2004, 10:27 PM
How much do the dump inserts usually go for?

wriken
05-08-2004, 10:57 PM
1500-1700, and more, I believe Mine was 1549.00

gogetter
05-08-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by JCKL
How much do the dump inserts usually go for?

As little as $2,000 for a basic model EZDump with no accessories (tarp, headboard).

Shuter
05-09-2004, 05:29 PM
GLS, looks like a Chevy?? Is ist a 2500 or 3500?? Mine is a 2500 that I want the insert for. I also use a dump trailer now so I know the different applications. My trailer is a deck-over so I have to use planks for the mowers. An insert would allow me to use a smaller trailer, put still have somewhere to put the clippings and easliy get rid of them.

Krimick
05-09-2004, 09:47 PM
I just bought my insert (Downeaster version) for my GMC 2500HD 2 weeks ago and I would definetly recommend them.

My main concern was looking for a quick way to empty clippings and leaves and it certainly does that. I also do a fair bit of gravel work and my recent load topped out at 1890kg or 4150 of material.

If your main priority is leaves and grass, then you will be fine with the 2500HD. If you haul some heavier material, I would recommend adding some type of additional springs. I have 6 leaf springs on my truck right now as well as a set of Timbrens. The truck is still sagging more than I would like though, so I will be adding a set of overload springs too.

GLS
05-10-2004, 11:12 PM
Shuter -- it is a 2500 (8600 gvw, HD version). Here is a better view:

Shuter
05-11-2004, 10:12 PM
Thanks GLS, I have the same only extra cab.

karl klein
05-16-2004, 12:08 PM
put air bags on and it will ride like a champ

Liberty Lawncare
06-03-2004, 01:19 AM
GLS - Got a question about the bed sagging.

My husband wants a dump bed for his 1991 3/4 Ton GMC. But his concern is that the weight of the load will cause the bed to sag when he's dumping. He hauls around grass clippings, mulch, top soil & some stone.

Have you had that problem? Our friend is an auto "Body Man" & could weld some steel into the frame for support, but there is also the weight consideration

I am weighing whether to get a dump body or just save up for a little longer & buy a dump truck.

BTW, he also plows & has a huge orange sander thingie (Having a blond moment - forgot what it's called) on his equipment wish list. Could this be dropped into the dump bed?

Thanks, I am trying to stealth shop for Father's Day - LL's wife.

Heron Cove PM
06-03-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Liberty Lawncare
BTW, he also plows & has a huge orange sander thingie (Having a blond moment - forgot what it's called) on his equipment wish list. Could this be dropped into the dump bed?

Get a unit that will do both.

http://www.truckcraft.com/

GLS
06-05-2004, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Liberty Lawncare
GLS - Got a question about the bed sagging.

My husband wants a dump bed for his 1991 3/4 Ton GMC. But his concern is that the weight of the load will cause the bed to sag when he's dumping. He hauls around grass clippings, mulch, top soil & some stone.

Have you had that problem? Our friend is an auto "Body Man" & could weld some steel into the frame for support, but there is also the weight consideration

I am weighing whether to get a dump body or just save up for a little longer & buy a dump truck.

Thanks, I am trying to stealth shop for Father's Day - LL's wife.

I'm not sure if I understand correctly. Do you mean he is worried that while the dump is in the raised position it will put too much force on the rear end (axle, springs, bed, whatever else)? If so, I wouldn't be too concerned because the dump cycle will take less than a minute and I don't think it iwll hurt anything. I do recommend some type of suspension upgrade though...extra leaf springs, overload or helper springs (I use overload springs), air bags, or timbren load boosters. It will minimize sagging and bottoming out.

As for the v-box, I would recommend removing the dump insert before installing the v-box. It can be done, but the salt capacity is already limited, the extra weight of the dumper makes it worse. It also will make the vbox sit up higher which means higher center of gravity. But mostly weight issue.

As for dump truck or dump insert...It depends on your needs. I would suggest buying a dump insert now and buy a dump truck later if you need it. Insert will only cost about $2500.

Anyways, good luck with your decision.

Heron Cove -- Really nice rig. Those SS truckcraft units look nice. How did the spreader work out for you last year?

LIBERTY LAWNCARE 2
06-05-2004, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GLS
I'm not sure if I understand correctly. Do you mean he is worried that while the dump is in the raised position it will put too much force on the rear end (axle, springs, bed, whatever else)? If so, I wouldn't be too concerned because the dump cycle will take less than a minute and I don't think it iwll hurt anything. I do recommend some type of suspension upgrade though...extra leaf springs, overload or helper springs (I use overload springs), air bags, or timbren load boosters. It will minimize sagging and bottoming out.

Actually - my husband showed me this morning what is concerned about - while in the raised position, the dump bed does this waggle/vibrate thing that does NOT look like it's too good for the insert or the truck. Kinda scary looking to me. - Could be an installation issue, as the operator stated that he installed it himself & IMO most of his stuff looked like it was african engineered.

Chairmnofthboard
06-11-2004, 08:57 PM
whats up people, My friend works at a trailer dealer, and he sells those Dump Inserts, i can find out what they cost.
I know they dont sell many of those dump inserts, Most people option to buy a dump trailer instead. An 8x10x2 dump trailer runs $3125.

They have some trick lawn care trailers "Lawn Pro" i believe its called, The front is an enclosed trailer and the back is a dump, so you stick all your equipment in the front, lock it up, safe and dry, then the rear is a dump.

Seems to work well, thow your equipment inside, swing by the dump on the way home, and park the trailer without worry.

I think they also have that "lawn Pro" in an open version, the front is an open utility and the rear is a dump.

Rich's Lawn Care
06-11-2004, 09:26 PM
My EZ Dumper was $2100.00 installed w/headboard and tarp.

This is my leaf set up but with the sides built up 2 ft it will hold 5 yards of mulch.

Heron Cove PM
06-12-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by GLS
Heron Cove -- Really nice rig. Those SS truckcraft units look nice. How did the spreader work out for you last year?

Thanks, we ran over 100 tons of salt through the thing and it ran FLAWLESSLY. Going to look at getting the unit for a contractor's dump bed next.

Originally posted by LIBERTY LAWNCARE 2
Actually - my husband showed me this morning what is concerned about - while in the raised position, the dump bed does this waggle/vibrate thing that does NOT look like it's too good for the insert or the truck.

Even though you do not want a lot of play in the unit, some movement (waggle/vibrate) is good and going to happen. When you say this, do you mean it moves from side to side when the bed is in the raised position? If so, again this will happen to some degree. It is a structure and any structure that is built totally rigid WILL fail. But excessive play is not a good thing.