PDA

View Full Version : Everyone who has a deck mounted striping roller

Envy Lawn Service
05-08-2004, 02:58 AM
I have a few questions and I want to get an idea of what the average setup fot this is these days.

What is the approx diameter of your roller?
How far off the ground do you typically run it?
Will you admit how often you get hung up because of it?

ghuffman3
05-08-2004, 03:15 AM
I have a cub cadet z-force that I fabricated a roller for. I went to my local mower shop and picked up some rollers for a simplicity mower, i had some 5/8" cold roll steel for the axle and fabricated 2 small mounting plates out of 1/4" mild steel. I mounted my roller onto the existing antiscalp brackets on the mower deck. I set it up approximately 3/8" off of the floor. I only mow my grass and the grass at the houses that we are selling and only mow at 4" so I did not build any adjustment in it. If I had to change the heigth of cut very often I would have probably adapted a spring somewhat like the scag striping kit has. I was going to use the scag kit and adapt it to my mower, but I thought I could build one for a lot less than they wanted for it. Total price for my version was right at $70.00 and most of that being the 9 rollers I bought. Hope this helps you out.

ghuffman3
05-08-2004, 03:17 AM
Oh, and your last question. So far I have not had any problems with it whatsoever.

Envy Lawn Service
05-08-2004, 04:24 AM
ghuffman3,

Howdy neighbor! Thanks for the info and welcome to Lawnsite! There's gettin' to be more and more of us Good 'Ol Carolina Boys on here. I dunno if thats good or bad.

I just wanted to add to what you said and ask... are you in the flat lands of NC where all is nice and smooth? Anyways, I thought about doing what you did a couple of years ago. But I would have had to go through th whole ordeal of ordering those little rollers one by one. However, later on I did find out that Simplicity makes a Expresso & Regent conversion kit. Some of there early models of those came with just an anti-scalp wheel on each side of the rear of the deck rather tan full width rollers. What I was told is that you can order the conversion for $78 bucks and I think it comes with the axle and enough rollers for the 38" which would cover inside the tires of most Z's.

Anyone else?

John Gamba
05-08-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
I have a few questions and I want to get an idea of what the average setup fot this is these days.

What is the approx diameter of your roller?
How far off the ground do you typically run it?
Will you admit how often you get hung up because of it?

Ive never gotten hung up. I run it close to the ground. For size look at the pic? I could measure it?
John

ghuffman3
05-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Now that I see the exmark roller that is almost exactly the way the one I made looks like. oh yeah, I am in between Salisbury and Statesville.

Envy Lawn Service
05-09-2004, 03:59 AM
Never gotten hung up? Not even once? Never even a curb or something you couldn't cross?

I must have done something wrong :confused:

I tried the fixed roller thing a long time ago. It was off the first day. I kept bottoming out on the roller, getting hung up, stopped by curbs. Then there was the deck beating and banging around every time the roller hit a high spot.

After it bottomed out on a slope, took the deck weight off the machine, caused traction loss and sent me downhill.... well lets just say it came off quick!!!!

I think I used a 2" diameter and I believe I set it up to be 1/2" to 1" off the ground at a 4" cutting height.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Ray & Karen
05-09-2004, 07:26 AM
Hey John Gamba,

Any idea if that Exmark roller fit on a 52 Toro?

John Gamba
05-09-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Ray & Karen
Hey John Gamba,

You got a PM:)

John Gamba
05-09-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
Never gotten hung up? Not even once? Never even a curb or something you couldn't cross?

I must have done something wrong :confused:

I tried the fixed roller thing a long time ago. It was off the first day. I kept bottoming out on the roller, getting hung up, stopped by curbs. Then there was the deck beating and banging around every time the roller hit a high spot.

After it bottomed out on a slope, took the deck weight off the machine, caused traction loss and sent me downhill.... well lets just say it came off quick!!!!

I think I used a 2" diameter and I believe I set it up to be 1/2" to 1" off the ground at a 4" cutting height.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I have never had a problem like you have had. If anything i go over leaves back wards and it rolls them flat so they go under the deck. But you have to watch out where you are going. I think you have the roller to LOW . On uneven ground it will bounce once and awhile but nothing that has ever concerned me much.
I also use it as an anti scalp roller on high berm's i just lift the deck to let the roller roll on the peak and i dont scalp like Pedro did the year before.
I do really think that its to low, Just lift it up or get a lazer.:D

John

Oh post a pic and i will take a pic of my roller and i will show you how low it is.

DLCS
05-09-2004, 12:04 PM
I got hung up one time with my roller on JD 757. I was crossing over a sidewalk and the sidewalk was about a 1 inch higher than the turf. Well, all it did was shear one of the bolts off the mount brackets so the roller would tip up and over the concrete. Not really a big deal, just made a loud bang. :p

Fareway Lawncare
05-09-2004, 06:15 PM
Ok J.G....just got an eXmark roller for the Walks...How Long is this going to take to Mount?

cutnitclose
05-09-2004, 06:48 PM
John Gamba.. I want one...... I have a toro 62" deck. If you get an extra minute let me know how to go about it....... Thanx.....

NCSULandscaper
05-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Never had a problem with my kit designs. Rollers are 2" diameter, runs 1/2 to 1/4" above the ground, depending on which setting you put it on, and no i have never once had a problem with getting hung up on anything, it acts like a large anti-scalp wheel and picks the entire deck up. BTW our kits run mainly on Toro Z-Master.

Envy Lawn Service
05-09-2004, 10:23 PM
NCSU,

I remember seeing yours. Matter of fact that was along the time after I told everyone where to buy the rollers. Maybe I was having trouble due to the adjustment?

Take for example, if I had the deck set at a 3.5" cutting height and the roller was 1/2" off the ground. My max cutting height is 4.5" and anything above that the deck stops hit the frame. So there wasn't much room for up and down movement.

Hummm.... you all have me wanting to try another roller mounted that way, maybe higher off the ground.... maybe closer to the rear tires also???.....

NCSULandscaper
05-09-2004, 10:30 PM
PM me or email, we can throw around some design ideas to each other and try to improve upon what we are doing, i have lots of proto-types being designed right now.

Esby
05-09-2004, 11:16 PM
I have Exmark's roller on a 52" HP lazer and on my 6' Lazer Z. I would NEVER mow with out one again. They are so worth the money, and put a spectacular finishing touch on any lawn. I have never gotten hung up, or had any problems with them. The 52" is a 2001 and has had it on since it was new, the 60" is a 2003 and I put it on the day I bought it. My next Exmark will have one, as will the next, and the next and the next.

John Gamba
05-10-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Esby
I have Exmark's roller on a 52" HP lazer and on my 6' Lazer Z. I would NEVER mow with out one again. They are so worth the money, and put a spectacular finishing touch on any lawn. I have never gotten hung up, or had any problems with them. The 52" is a 2001 and has had it on since it was new, the 60" is a 2003 and I put it on the day I bought it. My next Exmark will have one, as will the next, and the next and the next.

Same Here!!!!!!!!

John Gamba
05-10-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
Ok J.G....just got an eXmark roller for the Walks...How Long is this going to take to Mount?

Half hour:D

BobR
05-10-2004, 08:32 AM
As you can see (picture) the roller I picked is a bit different than the rigid mount most folks use. Adjustable height and the roller itself is spring loaded and will move if a lump or ridge in the lawn is encountered also you get to keep your gauge rollers when it is installed. Sponsor Bryant LaFlair from Groundbreakers (Gator Rator) is the designer / builder if you are interested.

dwost
05-10-2004, 09:18 AM
Bob, post some additional pics of your setup, that looks like a great design!!

BobR
05-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Groundbreakers (Gator Rator) striping roller pics

BobR
05-10-2004, 09:31 AM
Chute Side of Exmark Z HP

BobR
05-10-2004, 09:35 AM
Trim Side on same mower

jeffreyj77
05-10-2004, 10:46 AM
How do I get ahold of Groundbreakers to purchase one of these striping kits???

BobR
05-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Contact information for Groundbreakers (Gator Rator)..

Double Click on the 'Gator Rator' icon at the top of this page it's the green alligator smiling at you.

When the new page opens click on 'Contact Us' and a new page with e-mail and phone information will open.

The owners name is Bryant LaFlair.

BobR

Envy Lawn Service
05-24-2004, 10:47 PM
OK guys, here is what I built and mounted. This is a 2 1/2" diameter roller on an 11/16" hex axle. I made the mount out of 1/4" flat steel.

I backed it up closer to the rear tires. Here is the side view.

Envy Lawn Service
05-24-2004, 10:49 PM
I also just started by mounting it at 2" off the ground while the deck is in transport (4 1/2" cutting height).

Here is an angle view.

Envy Lawn Service
05-24-2004, 10:55 PM
It stayed on a total of 4 passes. Didn't take me long to unbolt it and give up on it. At a 4" cutting height it was... well bearable. At 3 1/2" forget it!!!!!!

Can you all see something I might have done wrong on my second try at a fixed design? I just don't understand. I must have because you all like them so much while I on the other hand loathe them.

keegan99usa
05-25-2004, 08:24 AM
Envy
Just my observation, but you may need to keep the anti-scalp wheel to the outside of your roller. And use a better bearing on the shaft. I would use a flange type bearing rather than the press in "nice" bearing. This is coming from a metal fabricator, not a lawn guru.
My 2 cents.

Envy Lawn Service
05-26-2004, 08:17 PM
Anyone else care to comment?

dwost
05-27-2004, 11:00 AM
Envy, Couple of questions.

1) What issues were you having? You mentioned it stayed on for 4 passes then was removed but you never explaind what the problem was.

2) How high did you mount it? I keep mine 1/2" off the ground at all cutting heights. I used a piece of plywood to ensure it was level across the deck when I drilled.

Here is a shot of my new brackets that I made. I drilled holes every 1/2" so I can adjust it with deck height. Mine too is fixed.

dwost
05-27-2004, 11:08 AM
Taken earlier this week.

dwost
05-27-2004, 11:09 AM
up close, sorry the color is a bit off but you get the idea.

Randy Scott
05-27-2004, 12:16 PM
:)

trailjunkee
05-27-2004, 03:29 PM
Up here I'm not convinced that a roller is the way to go. I wish I had some of those nice graded yards because I think in those a roller works great. Most of my yards are uneven in some places and I've found that a chain stripping kit works reasonable well. Seems to me that it will make more contact on irregular yards without getting hung up than a roller. Not to mention that the cost and time to fabricate were low.

Later
Bryan

ColePyck
05-27-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by BobR
As you can see (picture) the roller I picked is a bit different than the rigid mount most folks use. Adjustable height and the roller itself is spring loaded and will move if a lump or ridge in the lawn is encountered also you get to keep your gauge rollers when it is installed. Sponsor Bryant LaFlair from Groundbreakers (Gator Rator) is the designer / builder if you are interested.

Have the same setup and absolutley love my ground-breakers striping kit, easy to adjust and leaves stripes on any grass no matter how shitty the grass is.

dwost
05-27-2004, 04:16 PM
That is a killer design, what is the $ on the kit? Can you order the rollers in any length?

SIRCAESAR
06-30-2004, 09:28 PM
Hey guys I have a 48" wb Exmark Metro, I notice that their is no striping roller available for this machine, Most of the Z's and the turf tracer has one but no other commercial grade wb has one.. Can this GroundBreakers company also make one for my machine? I also found this other company online that makes them called bigleaguelawns, the website is www.bigleaguelawns.com other than that any suggestions?

odin
06-30-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Ray & Karen
Hey John Gamba,

if its the turbo force deck ..got to ebay ..they got one just for turbo force decks ....type in toro striping kit in a search

competitiveimageland
06-30-2004, 10:29 PM
anyone know of where to get a roller for a bobcat 61 ztr? preferably spring loaded

Stripe This
06-30-2004, 11:16 PM
John....I'm in NJ, Morris County.

competitiveimageland
06-30-2004, 11:30 PM
im in bridgewater

gorrell
07-01-2004, 10:41 PM
I purchased a roller from bigleaguelawns.com and used it for a while, but it got hung up crossing curbs and we stopped using it. I've now got all 4 of my 72" Choppers equipped with rubber belting for striping purposes and IMHO I don't know of anything that works better(other than a factory roller such as my Steiner has) with absolutely no maintenance or worries about damage.................Lynn