PDA

View Full Version : Dump Trailer with Skid Steer how to tie down?

ksland
05-08-2004, 05:59 PM
I just got a 6x12 Premier dump trailer which I will be pulling my Bobcat with. It has D rings welded to the floor but in the wrong place. Anyone else have a dump trailer with a skid steer? Curious what you use and how you tie it down.

xcopterdoc
05-08-2004, 08:25 PM
You better get some GOOD tie downs. Not those cheap d-rings. get some good tie down chains and binders. Have the proper weight ratings in both the tie downs and chains and binders. The tie downs rings need to be mounted/welded to the FRAME, not the sheet steel floor or sides.

Gravel Rat
05-08-2004, 08:37 PM
I doubt its going to slide anywhere if there is a strong enough lip on the outside of the box you can use the heavy duty ratchet straps.

It looks like the machine is too far forward do you have alot of tounge weight or is the picture decieving ?

mdb landscaping
05-09-2004, 04:36 PM
im just wondering whats gonna happen when you put another attachment on there? or do you only plan on using buckets? for instance when we put the backhoe attachment on our bobcats.....it adds a lot of length. ive seen guys towing with dump trailers like yours, but i never see em tied down.......like you say....looks kinda tricky. id reconsider putting the d rings in better places. we always run a chain on the bottom rear, and then attach a chain to the front bucket or one of the hooks on there. good luck.......happy digging:D

ksland
05-09-2004, 06:47 PM
The machine is a little far foward in the picture, I would like it to stay about a foot more towards the back. It is a little heavy in tongue weight all the way foward but just barely squats a 3/4 (heavy half) ton truck. Was curious about not tying it down it really can't go anywhere unless it flips over and if that happens tie downs probably would be effective anyhow. I am worried about scratching the hell out of the back plate up against the rear ramp gate though. I think the answer is to re-locate the D rings.

As far as another attachment, it would have to be trailered seperately which at this point wouldn't be very often. The pro's of having the trailer double as a dump by far outweighs the con's being not able to trailer attachments. And I am pretty sure I could get away with a backhoe attachment placing the bucket on the outside.

Scag48
05-10-2004, 02:46 AM
Ratchet straps are worthless. Use chains and binders, nothing else. On our dump trailer, there are 4 D-rings, one in each corner welded to the floor. Chain it and bind it correctly and you're good to go.

Randy Scott
05-10-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by ksland
Was curious about not tying it down it really can't go anywhere unless it flips over and if that happens tie downs probably would be effective anyhow.

If that were to ever happen and someone was hurt, you can consider that your "Go directly to jail" card. I would check with your state laws, but EVERYTHING has to be tied down on any Wisconsin road. Better safe than sorry.

We also have a dump trailer we use sometimes to haul our skid-steer around. It's just too much of a pain in the butt with the limited access to being able to tie down the machine because of the sides. We almost always use the flat-deck for the skid-steer and attachments.

DJL
05-10-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by xcopterdoc
You better get some GOOD tie downs. Not those cheap d-rings. get some good tie down chains and binders. Have the proper weight ratings in both the tie downs and chains and binders. The tie downs rings need to be mounted/welded to the FRAME, not the sheet steel floor or sides.

We have a 14' dump trailer we use to transport mini TLB's (under 8k#). We have 4 D-rings, one in each corner. Each one is rated (so it says) for the correct amount of weight. We use the correct rated chains and binders.

My question to you is...How exactly do you attach the d-rings to the FRAME if it is a DUMP TRAILER? It seems impossible to attach the D-rings to the frame because you'd have to cut a hole in the dump bed?.?.?.

ksland
05-11-2004, 12:17 AM
The frame of the dump body, not the lower frame. I have seen D rings welded to just the skin of the dump body.

fga
05-26-2004, 09:23 PM
how do you like the dump trailer? was going to look into one of those instead of my dump truck.