PDA

View Full Version : Help With Mtd

johninmaryland
05-08-2004, 09:12 PM
I FOUND A 2001 MTD YARDMAN 42INCH TRACTOR TODAY AT A YARDSALE FOR 50 BUCKS!! THE GUY SAID IT DIDNT RUN. WELL I GOT IT HOME AND IT HAD NO OIL. OBVIOUS THING TO CHECK. IT HAS A KOHLER 15 HP TWIN. IT RUNS GREAT NOW, AND ITS HYDROSTATIC. I JUST CANT GET IT TO MOVE. IT WAS STORED FOR A YEAR. AFTER I CLEANED THE MOUNDS OF GRASS OUT OF IT I CHECKED ALL THE BELTS AND PULLEYS AND EVERYTHING IS WORKING GREAT. THE PROBLEM IS THIS. IF I PULL THE HYDROSTATIC HANDLE FORWARDS NOTHING HAPPENS. ALL THE WAY FORWARDS IT STARTS TO WHINE BUT NO ACTION. IF I MOVE INTO REVERSE PART WAY THROUGH IT STALLS THE ENGINE. IM NOT REALLY GOOD WITH THESE HYDROSTATICS. IS THERE SOMETHING RIDICULOUSLY OBVIOUS IM MISSING? ANYONE HAVING ANYTHING TO SAY WITH THIS PROBLEM IS APPRECIATED. ITS A 50 DOLLAR MOWER AND IT RUNS GREAT. IF I HAVE TO PUT A HYDRO REAR IN IT TO GET IT TO WORK THATS FINE - THE REST OF IT IS IN PERFECT SHAPE. THE ONLY THING THAT DISCOURAGED ME WAS IT LOOKS LIKE HE WAS MOWING FIELD WITH IT- THE GRASS WAS STACKED UP EVERYWHERE- INSIDE THE HEAD FINS, ON TOP OF THE DECK- INSIDE THE PULLEYS AND ALL AROUND WHERE THE BELTS TRACKS ARE. I DONT KNOW BUT MAYBE HE BOGGED IT OUT AND BLEW THE TRANNY???? ONCE AGAIN THANKS FOR ANY HELP

fixer67
05-08-2004, 09:32 PM
The first thing I would do is make sure the brakes are not hanging up. Look under the seat and give me the model number and I may be able to tell you more.

Redneck'n
05-16-2004, 02:39 AM
since it is a hydro-stat, check to make sure the bypass valve.. there should be a little lever of some sort or another somewhere on the machine.. you may have to push it, pull it, slide it, ect...
that would be the first thing i would check.. if not that, i would have to say that the brakes may indeed be stuck.. i have found that usually when that is the case, the machine will try to move and make a terrible noise from the hydro unit...
if neither of those solve your problem, check to make certain there is fluid in the hydro unit.. generally on those models, nobody ever checks or changes the fluid.. most dont ever need it changed.. but i would check that as a last resort.. unless you see oil type residue on or around the hydro unit..
a last note, if you are able to roll the machine easily, i would be willing to almost bet a paycheck that the bypass valve is triggered..
good luck...