PDA

View Full Version : Buiding steps

Ocutter
05-09-2004, 09:46 AM
Ok I have had this question since I built my first set of steps last year. I used the EP Henry Stone Wall select for the risers. It all turned out fine but I was wondering if there was something I was overlooking or if there was an easier way. Now these were "outside" steps. By that I mean you can see the outside face of the block from the front and sides. "Inside steps" you only see the treads and risers from the front, ok. So when building "outside" steps with stone wall select, 3 or 6" coventry wall, the risers are only as high as the block correct? Is there a way to change the height other than going with the height of the block? I dont know if im asking this question correctly, but im just looking for some feedback and possibly some pics to go by. Thanks.

blafleur
05-10-2004, 08:11 AM
Most companies that sell the blocks also sell a top cap or coping, anywhere from 2" to 4". You can use this with adhesive to make the riser a little taller.

Bryan

Ocutter
05-10-2004, 09:53 PM
Right, right, but what Im trying to say is when you have a total height (from grade to the bottom of the door jam) that does not divide equally by the 6" or 8" riser, what do you do then? Do you cut a little off the rise with a chop saw or do you need to adjust the steps as a whole. I guess I just answered my question there. It needs to be divisible by 6 or 8.

Rex Mann
05-10-2004, 10:57 PM
If you are doing a walkway with steps of landings you can do this.

Figure out what your steps will be. Either 6 or 8 in your case. If its 8 and and you need 10 inches of fall then loose the remaining 2 inches in the pitch of the walkway or landing. Does that makes sense?

We are doing one right now where we have to loose 7 inches over 20 feet. Homeowner only wants three steps:eek:

Peace,

Rex

our web site (http://rmstonescaping.com)

AGLA
05-10-2004, 10:58 PM
It is not uncommon for the rise from your top step to the door threshold to differ from the rest of the steps. check out wood or other masonry steps at your house and other places that you go to. That "step" is often about 2". People's walking rythm is broken when they open a door and the doorway is a strong visual cue to expect a change.

I would stear away from "close, but not quite" the same height as the rst of the steps.

Ocutter
05-17-2004, 11:05 PM
I see what your saying. So overall the steps will either be 6 or 8" due to the stone youre using. Theres really no way to make them 1/2" +/- . The top and bottom step you can fudge, just not hte inbetween steps. Correct? Thanks