PDA

View Full Version : express blower

desertrat
05-09-2004, 09:17 PM
I am a landscaper, and I also work for a decorative rock company, as a salesman of sorts. I install a lot of decorative rock here in the desert, and I have been looking into the Express Blower truck. I talked with them and they sent me info. and a video, but no prices. I figure this truck will cost well over $100,000, and I am looking for suggestions and info. on marketing. I should be able to get the money, but I need to be able to make money immediately. I think it would be a mistake to buy the truck and then start trying to make money off of it. I know most of you guys sell and install mulch, but out here mulch is rarely used. My main focus would be decorative rock. I am looking for some info. from people that own these trucks and have made a successful business from it. I know that there is huge potential with this truck, but I am still a small business and this would be a HUGE investment. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

mdb landscaping
05-09-2004, 09:47 PM
heres a pic of our finn blower truck.........the express rock and soil truck is big $$$$ more like $475,000 or more i hear.......i hope you have some serious business lined up for that thing.

jkelton
05-09-2004, 11:00 PM
MDB is correct - the soil/rock truck is quite a bit of money. I have seen it in person - it does have some serious hardware on it (separate Cat engine, larger blower, larger feeder, etc.). I have an EB-60 and mainly use it for mulch and compost products. Installation of rock is not common in our area, so I have not persued that market.

Groundcover Solutions
05-10-2004, 01:36 AM
I saw the "MOAB" as they call it when I was over in Oregon looking at our truck. (MOAB=Mother of all blowers) It is set up to do the rock but it is quite expensive. We do mainly mulch installs in our area and we don't focuse on many of the other services... YET! But your main source of business is going to be through landscaping companies. So that is the market you are going to want to push for. Also I don't know much about your area but with us the mulch is continual, and by that i mean it gets redone every year. I know with decrative rock you install once and your done. So I would imangen it would also be smaller jobs because it rock and be quite expenssive expesialy in large quantities. I would fiegure that you would need to line up a good amount of work before you jump into this is you are looking to make money fast, but also you never truly can make money fast it takes time and a tone of work to get there. Also you said that you are already running a business. I am going to tell you that with this kind of turck and business you are going to be working extremly long hours and you will not have much time to do other things. Our focuse is on the contractors side of the business and also we only do blower truck work, we are not affiliated with a landscaping company that would take a good amount of managing. Just take a good look at your market to see if it can support this kind of business, talk to some of your local landscaping companies to see if they would be interested in this type of service. But your best bet is, if you do go for it, put everything you have into it and don't let off. If you push your self and focuse on doing good quality work then you can really get far. Just my 2 cents!!!

desertrat
05-10-2004, 02:02 AM
Thanks guys, $475,000 is way out of my league. If I did get into it, I would focus all my attention toward that business as I realize it would take most or all of my time. For now I will continue to do it the old fashioned way with a shovel and wheel barrow, and sometimes a bobcat.

Groundcover Solutions
05-10-2004, 11:57 PM
You can always sub out work to a local company if you have one around! Makes and saves you both time and money! But hey keep your options open I started the same way you are talking about and people told me it would never happen but look at me now!!!

desertrat
05-13-2004, 12:17 AM
Thanks, I appreciate the information and the positive imput. I have learned so much on this site and appreciate everyones thoughful input.

thelawnkid
05-13-2004, 09:37 PM
how long would it take to pay off a truck like that, and are there any other mulch blowers, that are naot as expensive.

Groundcover Solutions
05-15-2004, 06:27 PM
The amount of time to pay off the truck depends on how much you put down and the amount of time you are taking to pay it off. Also, yes there are other mulch blower truck manufacturers. Finn make smaller versions of the EB truck but they are not even close to as technalogicaly advanced as the EB trucks. Less user freindly and all in all just more out dated. But they are cheaper and you could go that route while you are starting out. But, I would call or Email EB they can help you with your descions. They also sell used trucks and you could possibly get into a smaller TM unit to start off with that is used.

jawinchester
12-06-2004, 09:03 PM
We had a demo of the rock truck that you are talking about last week and they didn't pin down a price, but that bad boy was in the low 300,000 range!
We are currently upgrading to a larger truck. We have a 20 Finn and are in the process of selling it. If you are interested just say so.

impactlandscaping
12-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Thanks guys, $475,000 is way out of my league. If I did get into it, I would focus all my attention toward that business as I realize it would take most or all of my time. For now I will continue to do it the old fashioned way with a shovel and wheel barrow, and sometimes a bobcat.

...475K with 0 down and 0 % would be a payment of 4K a month for a ten year note. That's a lot of over head to recover installing rock. A local AG company here has a truck called a Rockslinger. It has a vacuum pump system with a conveyor for larger rock, and can reach about 80' from the truck. Derek told me they have about 425K in that truck alone..If you have your own quarry, you can warrant the truck I guess.