PDA

View Full Version : THE best way to cut back ornamental grasses and liriope!

D Felix
05-11-2004, 09:00 PM
I done figgured it out!

Wanna know how?

*drum roll please*

Chainsaw!!!

Yep, that's right, a chainsaw....

BUT, BUT, BUT, wait a minute! You can't use the saw like you would when you cut down a tree or when you are cutting up limbs, etc....

You must use the TOP side of the bar, not the bottom! If you use the bottom of the bar, you will only suck bits of grass into the sprocket, and it will clog up and jamb. Using the top side of the bar will minimize this problem.

MAKE SURE YOU USE THE CHAIN BRAKE!!! Chaps are preffered leg protection, but at least wear long pants. And KNOW where everyone is around you.

Thought you all might like to know this little gem of info that I figgured out a while ago. Just remember it till fall, and remember who posted this!!!

HOPE IT HELPS!

Dan

jajwrigh
05-11-2004, 09:35 PM
What about hedge trimmers?

D Felix
05-11-2004, 09:40 PM
From my experience, they bog down too much in grasses, and they don't do a thing to liriope. If they work for you, go for it. If they don't, try a saw.

Oh, for the grasses, we usually "bundle" them up before cutting by wrapping duct tape around them. Saves a lot of mess and clean-up time.

Large clumps, use a length of rope with a mini-carabiner attached. Use the rope to cinch the grass tight, then wrap with tape. If you can get your arms around it all the way, that usually works fine....

Dan

ElephantNest
05-11-2004, 09:52 PM
Too much bending for me, I'll stick to the trusty T270. Easy as pie.

NCSULandscaper
05-11-2004, 10:15 PM
Ill stick to mowing it with the push mower and bag it.

D Felix
05-11-2004, 10:41 PM
"Try it, you'll like it!"

Seriously though, it can't be beat for ornamental grasses... The $20 or so we spend on duct tape (get the cheap stuff!) saves us countless hours of clean-up time.

We don't mow, so we don't have a mower on hand at all times. Gotta do the next best thing.

Dan

Ice_Gargoylle
05-11-2004, 10:51 PM
DUCT TAPE....sticky that one... :p outstanding idea.

polecat63
05-12-2004, 06:44 AM
Never had a problem with my hedge trimmer bogging down. But, I sharpen mine.:)

Premo Services
05-12-2004, 07:31 AM
I have been using my hedge trimmers for years, and string trimmer for the lirope. It works good. I've been using rope to tie up the grasses, but will use the duct tape, a good idea....

Ice_Gargoylle
05-12-2004, 06:27 PM
i use hedge trimmers also. just got to make sure the guy helping pulls back when ya cut. no binding then.

D Felix
10-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Since it's getting to be fall clean-up time (maybe it's past that time for some of you), I thought I'd bump this one. I know some clients don't like the grasses left all winter.....

Dan

Lanelle
10-17-2004, 09:40 PM
Most grasses are just getting to their prime now. I'd leave them alone for at least a couple of months. We normally wait until February to trim them down. It's a job that can be done when conditions are less than hospitable. Great tip about the duct tape!

Coffeecraver
10-18-2004, 05:09 AM
Gas powered hedge trimmers for grasses

Line trimmer for liriope

I might try the duct tape,sounds good

I won't cut back the grasses until March,I leave them for winter interest.

:)

blafleur
10-18-2004, 07:22 AM
I'm with Coffeecraver, I like to leave them through the winter, but Mr. Customer usually decides that. I also use hedge clipper without problem, but I really like the duct tape idea, think thats a hit Dan.

Bryan

NNJLandman
10-18-2004, 04:26 PM
About all of our commercial accounts for JLS have grasses. Best is either use a bungy cord or some string tie it tight and go at it with hedge clippers. We do it every end of the season like around this time.....stuff is itchy. I like using the string because that way you can dispose it more easily.

Jeff

Geezer
10-19-2004, 12:08 AM
Ditto on tying up the Orn Grasses and hittin' them with a set of hedgetrimmers.

As for the liriope...
larger open beds - bagging mower (on it's highest setting)
smaller beds - line trimmer with steel grass blade - it cuts vs. rips the grass PLUS less clean up time as it just lays it over instead of slinging it.

Just be sure to use SHARP blades on all tools and DO NOT cut into the crown of the plants !