PDA

View Full Version : Paver patio?

Drafto
05-12-2004, 12:33 AM
I have to give an estimate on a 16'X24' paver patio that is shaped oval. I have done quite a few patios that were recangle and square but never one with any circles (or in this case 2 semi-circles). My question is, how much more time does it take to do all the cutting, I have the saw, I have the education, but I can't estimate the time until it is too late? On a rectangle patio I am $10/sq. ft and have never had a problem making money. Figure the space is accessible and flat. I have never seen a circle kit larger than 10' so i figure I will be cutting each of these. What is the easiest pattern to attempt? Keep them all paralell and just cut them to fit against the border? Or is there another way? I need some help.

Thanks,
Dan

neighborguy
06-11-2004, 11:04 PM
I find that laying the whole area out as one large patio works best. If you have two circles put a stake at each center point; then use a tape measure to mark your circles. I then cut the cirle in place with a cutoff saw. Then cut a second circle leaving the width of your soldier course. I am sorry if this is hard to understand but I have never tried to describe this using only words. IN person it makes total sense. I will see if I can find some pictures.

Rex Mann
06-11-2004, 11:59 PM
Most guys cut about 15-20 linear feet an hour. Start keeping track so you know what to charge. We charge for all cuts. We break them up into 3 groups, straight, curved, curved with also cutting soldier or sailor. And we have a charge for each of them.

To make a larger circle than a 10 just add squares . If the squares are 6x6 inch or less it'll work just fine. The sales reps. and distributors will tell you to buy another circle.

For cutting do the following.

Lay out your field as far as you can
Then, place your soldier/sailer on top of those pavers
adjust the pavers to the curve you want
use the inside of the soldier pavers as a guide to mark your field pavers for cuts

Or

get some plastic 1/2 conduit
use it to make a curved line on your pavers
mark it then cut it

Peace,

Rex

our web site (http://rmstonescaping.com)

Drafto
06-12-2004, 07:59 AM
Thanks for your replies, after I posted this and didn't have too many responses I didn't want to pester. I turned in the bid at $12/sq ft, I felt that would cover my bases. I also I had to figure there would be a learning curve that this guy shouldn't have to pay for.

Funny thing is, he was still a little shocked by the price, he told me he was going to get a few other estimates so I backed off. He called 9 other companies and no one even came out to give him an estimate, he called last week to see if I was still interested.

landscapingpoolguy
06-12-2004, 07:58 PM
How could no one come out to price out a patio? I jump at walls and patio jobs.....i usually get about 15% tho because i get out bid by alot of smaller first timers..then people callme to fix or replace what was done wrong the firsdt time. by the way i woulda charge $10 a sqft plus the cost of the paver. A $2 a sqt paver is a big difference froma $5 a sq ft paver

Chuck

Drafto
06-13-2004, 08:13 AM
The paver are $2.30/sq ft, the guy is pretty cheap and he was at least up front about it. When I told him the cost originally he said he didn't want to spend that much, so I told him that concrete would be cheaper and gave him the name of a guy I know. That when 9 people didn't show up, not paver guys, but concrete guys, so he was dicouraged and figured he would just call me back. The customer just always has to be right, not the sharpest tool in the shed. Thank you all for your replys to this thread, this site is better than any tool on my trailer or in my shed, I am sure once I start cutting I will have some BS questions.

Thanks,
Dan

P.S. Poolguy, how much are you asking for the HP? And where is Wayne located?

landscapingpoolguy
06-13-2004, 11:15 AM
oh the HP is sold....Wayne is in North Jersey