PDA

View Full Version : All Season Blooming Day Lillies?

lawnyogi
05-12-2004, 09:35 AM
My customer wants day lillies that bloom all season long. I am not sure exactly sure what he might be refering to other than some hybrids that bloom from spring into mid-summer.

Any ideas?

thanks.

D Felix
05-12-2004, 10:25 AM
That would be what you need. What you are looking for are called re-bloomers.

Stella D'Oro's are probably the most popular kind of re-bloomers right now.....

Dan

AL Inc
05-12-2004, 10:55 AM
I just noticed yesterday that the Stella' doro's are blooming already. Not sure of any that will bloom all season long. Try a mix of early, mid, and late bloomers for the longest show of color.

lawnyogi
05-12-2004, 12:14 PM
Thanks!

The Stella de Oros were my pick, but I thought they were 'Lilliums' and I could not find them. But I did find them under Hemerocallis!

new guy!

hoyboy
05-12-2004, 10:22 PM
What you are looking for is the variety called "Happy Returns" ... a little more expensive but they are excellent.

Dan

PattiD
07-01-2004, 02:13 AM
This is a little late in reply, but I read about two other varieties of "Stella" Daylilies that are "everbloomers". Here's a web site with photos: http://www.pioneerthinking.com/ara-greatgarden.html
Lowe's apparently is "exclusively" carrying them this year, but I read somewhere else that the two new varieties will have a full release in 2005 and are being mass produced now in Holland. The two newbies have received mixed reviews, and some say they are capitalizing on the "Stella" name and that there are better days, BUT I think the "everblooming" description is the key here - even though they are taller than the Stellas, who can fuss if something is bloomin' in the summer months?
Good luck - hope you can find these & rate them yourself.

Kate Butler
07-01-2004, 08:29 PM
"Pardon Me" is another good rebloomer. It's a red leaning toward wine and a bit taller than either "Stella" or "Happy Returns". You should know that some rebloomers only do so once a season (one primary bloom and one rebloom). Others, like "Stella" & "Happy Returns" & "Pardon Me" will rebloom until hard frost.

PattiD
07-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Kate, THANK you - I have added Pardon Me to my list. I've heard a lot of people praise Happy Returns. Is this a yellow? We have a local nursery with 1000+ daylilies, so I hope they will have Pardon Me available for me to try in my home garden.
Have you seen those two new Stellas in the landscape yet and if so would you know anything about performance?
Best,
Pat

Kate Butler
07-02-2004, 09:52 PM
Pat, Yes, "Happy Returns" is the yellow. Another rebloomer is called "Little Business", a good red.

If you really want WA-YYYY more information than you will ever need on the subject of daylilies, try this:

www.daylilies.org

I've not tried the new Stella's yet, but likely to be at least as good as the old ones.

D Felix
07-03-2004, 09:57 AM
There are also many varieties of "Siloam" daylilies. I don't know if they are "re-bloomers" or not, but there are some really nice colors there. From what I have been told, they are propagated in Alabama, it's a bunch of farmers who are trying to out-do one another.

Anybody tried the "Purple d' Oro" daylily yet? If so, thoughts? I'm curious to see what others think of it....

Dan