PDA

View Full Version : Some type of patio installation

alpine692003
05-12-2004, 07:07 PM
Okay, I have this customer that has a budget of 2,000 for a backyard patio.

Her backyard is 10ft wide x 20ft long = 200 sq feet.

It is covered with turf as of right now, but she would like to get a patio in there.

I suggested to her interlocking bricks and told her that it will be more then $2k but she doesnt wnat to spend more then 2k

I was thinking about suggesting to her to get flagstone pieces and laying it directly on top of the turf?

Any ideas?

Gene $immons
05-12-2004, 10:26 PM
Maybe frame up the area somehow and use a cheaper base or sub gravel such as crushed stone, and fill in with a few larger flagstone pieces here and there.

??

alpine692003
05-13-2004, 12:47 AM
I was thinking of removing turf, tamping down the existing soil, lay down flagstones and then just apply grass seed in between the cracks?

I will use the existing soil as the base? what do you think

AGLA
05-14-2004, 09:12 PM
You have to let her know that there is a cost that is due to the expense of the material and that you have to earn a living. Tell her that you will be glad to do a quality patio of a smaller size (give the exact size) for 2k because the prce is what it is. You can't change the cost of the material or the amount of labor, why should she think she can change the price.

Do not get caught in the trap where you start wanting to get the job more than they want the job done. That translates to you paying to much to get her money. She will either not have the patio, have a smaller patio on her budget, or pay more for the patio that she wants. You will either make money on the job, or move on. The alternative is you working like a dog for little money while she gets a good patio for peanuts. That is up to you.

I think that you will find that the more you negotiate, the more you get screwed. And that people will still go with you when you hold firm (unless you are trying to screw them).

paponte
05-15-2004, 10:06 AM
Don't ever cheap out and use inferior products or give her her monies worth, and only that. AGLA's advice was sincere and should make you think. There's always a right way and a wrong way to do the job. Just remember that YOUR name is on it.

A basic Holland or Belgium unilock sells for about $1.89 sqft. so pavers are not out of the question. Why don'y you recommend installing a smaller patio and just installing beds around the sides? Throw in some mulch and plants in her budget, and explain that it would compliment the patio.

If that is not acceptable then tell her what she wants is out of her budget. ;)

alpine692003
05-15-2004, 12:05 PM
Yes, I think I will do that! Thanks for the advice guys!

she has 400 sq feet to cover in the back, I dont think 2k is enough .

I think I can suggest to her a 150 - 200 sq feet patio though!