PDA

View Full Version : Lesco HPS vs. Perma Green vs. z-spray

mflaniga
05-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Hello All:

We are currently evaluating purchasing a ride on fertilizer spreader. We primarily apply granular so spray options seem less important right now. At first the Perma Green seemed like the best answer since it seems to have the largest market share and also a lot of versitility. But upon further research, a lot on this web site, it seems that not everyone is happy with both the quality and customer service of PermaGreen. On the other hand the z-spray apprears to have only happy customers, and given my druthers I would order one today. Unfortunately it is 2-1/2 times the price of the Lesco HPS which is much more afforadable at only $2700.

We figure total machine run time for the season will be about 200 - 300 hours. The majority of the properties are residential and between 1/4 and 1/2 an acre. Since I am doing the applying the primary benefit I am looking for is not having to push that spreader especially for the larger properties. The HPS seems like a good compromise since it does what we want but is the most affordable. But we have to consider the longevity, versitility and customer service as well. Any thoughts from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

James Cormier
05-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Ive looked at the HPS, Heres what I dont like

1. not strong enough, been hearing alot of guys with broken axles and welds snapping

2. cable opens and shuts spreader, over time this will cause problems with cable streching and becoming loose, that means while your spreading and opening and closing at each pass, you may not be applying the same amount of product with each pass, ( I think this is a big down fall to the PG centri )

3. Most lesco centers dont have service, so when theres a problem it needs to be shipped somewhere to get fixed.

4. No spray system, so how much time you really gonna save, thats if weed control is important to you.

Now the PG, well you can read many things about that machine, Yes there are guys that love it, and some that dont. I still use my ultra daily, and centri every once in a while. Ive spent 10k with Pg in the past 4years

My next machine will be the zspray, or......maybe Ill morph the HPS's drive system with the PG ultra spreader and the PG centri's spray system, then maybe that would be the perfect machine

Ric
05-12-2004, 08:47 PM
The Ric-O-Green is a non grass cutting 1993 Walker 20 hp with a Lesco truckster and a northern ATV boom sprayer. Works great and I am well satisfied with it. Up grades will be a spyker's 220 spreader to handle organic material like very fine compost.

Now the only problem is I must use a trailer. I would like to have something smaller that would fit on the back of my spray truck. Now the electric Spreader has a constant speed broad cast wheel and by hooking up a rheostat you can adjust the throw width. I only stay with Truckster because of the Electric broadcast wheel.

Now after many years of spraying Fertilizer I have come to the conclusion that granules are a better way to go. However Spray has it's place also. Therefore each year I am more and more into granules, However I will never be able to do all granules with present chemicals.

Pilgrims' Pride
05-12-2004, 10:07 PM
I have an HPS.
A weld broke where the axle attaches to the wheels.
Lesco fixed it right away.
When I have time I'll take it to my own machine shop to "beef it up" a bit.
Other than that, I'm very happy with the machine.
It is highly manueverable and gos where my PG wouldnt dare.
If spraying is not important, Go with the HPS.

wrestlingcoach
05-13-2004, 11:22 AM
CAN'T YOU BUY THE DROP IN 9 GALLON TANK AND THE BOOM ATTACHMENT FOR $700

cemars
05-13-2004, 06:40 PM
I can't say enough good things about the Z-Spray. It is an insult to the Z-spray to compare it to the Lesco or Perma green. 8 mph ground speed, adjustable impeller speed, 200 lb hopper, zero turn radius, and the ability to spray even if you don't do much. I also own 2 PG's and spent 6 years working at lesco and would not consider anything with the Lesco name until it has 2-3 years of a proven track record. Spend the extra money up front and reap the rewards for years to come.

mflaniga
05-13-2004, 09:02 PM
cemars:

I totally agree. I don't think they are comparable. The z-spray is obviously a far superior machine and I would love to buy one tomorrow. But given the capital constraints and the fact that unlike a mower this piece of equipment is going to be used for perhaps 20 to 30 days during the year I am thinking that maybe I should start with something a little less expensive. By no means do I think these three machines are equals.

Tscape
05-13-2004, 09:17 PM
Get the Z-spray Junior with the 200lb hopper upgrade. Also, the fact that the Z's have a hydraulic motor for the impeller make them more reliable.

ant
05-13-2004, 10:04 PM
how do you guys transport the z-spray?
the perm-a green has a nice rack that fits in the reciever hitch.
ant

Green Pastures
05-15-2004, 10:07 AM
Where can I see pics of this Z-Spray, get printed information, see it on a website?

Thanks........

lawnservice
05-15-2004, 12:46 PM
here you go:

http://www.z-spray.com/

mflaniga
05-20-2004, 07:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I drove a HPS at Lesco the other day and while it rode fine the overall quality and durability was less than that of the PermaGreen. Given the overall responses, discussions with Tom Rich and the increased functionality of the z-spray we ordered one today. It should be here in two weeks in time for our second round of applications. I can't wait!

Tscape
05-20-2004, 10:44 PM
You made the right choice.

advantagelawn
05-24-2004, 12:31 AM
we have our own fabricated applicatior that works great. Grasshopper 928D (diesel) with rear mounted booms that spray a 9.5 foot path and a Spyker broadcast on the front. the mower deck is taken off and replaced with a stainless steel fabricated tank, 20 gallons for booms and 10 for the hand spray. ground speed set at 5.5. great for medium to large props., but kind of a hassle in small, tight, or very ornamental areas.

mflaniga
06-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Unloaded the z-spray today and spent about an hour riding it around. Handles great and easy to get used to. As expected the overall quality and durability seem far superior to that of the Lesco and PermaGreen. Going to do some practice applications tomorrow and start commercial work end of the week. There has been this 5 acre property I have been dreading doing for the past 6 weeks, but now am actually looking forward to it.

Aleman
06-09-2004, 06:56 PM
I'm looking at the choices also. I'm leaning toward the Z because of quality. This time of year, I'm spraying allot of fungicides and insecticides in addition to weed control. Have you guys sprayed fungicides with good results?? Can you pull an aerator with the Z??

Buginout
06-09-2004, 09:44 PM
I have four Z-Spray's now. Got my first one two years ago. my guys are putting down granular fert at the rate of 20 tons per week. I could not think of any other way we could get that done with less people. With the spray boom I don't have to use blended fert (weed&feed - Fert w/talstar) anymore, therfore we only spray what is needed (IPM)and have lower costs per acre.

turfsurfer
06-09-2004, 10:56 PM
Buginout, just picked up my z-spray jr. yesterday (had them put the 220 lb hopper on it though). Spraying will be only weed control (mostly Momentum). One interesting thing was Mr. Rich suggested I should definately back off the rate to .75-1.0 oz per thousand as the low volume with the tee-jet a.i. tips is so effective. Sounds real good to me since it means lower product costs. What do you spray at?

qps
06-12-2004, 09:06 AM
New to the site, currently using PG , what are the cost of the stainless z-sprayer and how does it compare on inclines and small lawns compared to the PG.

Buginout
06-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Turfsurfer,
Can't compare with you. We are from two different parts of the world when it comes to turf and turf care products.

qps
Inclines are no problem for the z-sprays they all have lots of power for hills and are more stable like a 4 wheel mower on a hill. If you have a lot of small lawns then get a small z-spray. I have two men teems doing 75 to 150 homes a day depending on the size of the lawns(2000sqft - 10000sqft), we only use the large z-sprays and carry a scotts handheld spreader for small areas were it wont fit.

qps
06-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Thanks buginout, can you say a ballpark figure for the z-sprayer cost???

Aleman
06-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Your looking at around 7k for the Jr...

Buginout
06-12-2004, 10:25 PM
If your seriously looking then call Tom Rich and tell him what you want and he will give you a price. He can also tell you who in your area already has one and where you can go see it in person.

qps
06-12-2004, 10:33 PM
Thanks, send e-mail for info, I don't live far from Lebanon anyways, looking for better system than the PG I've used for the last 4 years.