PDA

View Full Version : Need weed id help

spartan green
05-12-2004, 10:47 PM
I was wondering if anybody could id this weed for me? I have spent a while trying to id it but to no avail. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ArizPestWeed
05-13-2004, 01:26 AM
Yes
It's a broadleaf .
Why do you want to know ?

kickin sum grass
05-13-2004, 07:25 AM
is the stem square or round. If it is square it is henbit. It is hard to tell from that pic.

lawnservice
05-13-2004, 08:07 AM
i would also guess that its henbit, picture id is not always easy. gently roll the stem between your fingers, henbit will be square and you will feel the corners as you roll it.

Rtom45
05-13-2004, 08:38 AM
If its henbit, you may also see small blue or purple flowers. From the picture, that would be my ID.

GroundKprs
05-13-2004, 10:56 AM
ID it yourself at UIUC's Weed Identification Key (http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/weedid/). There are ID keys for most things found in nature: grasses, broadleaf weeds, insects, diseases, etc. Will probably turn out to be a henbit or a type of speedwell.

vegomatic40
05-14-2004, 09:42 AM
I need a better picture with something placed next to it for scale but it looks like possibly corn speedwell. Hard to control but summer heat sends it packing.

tremor
05-14-2004, 11:02 AM
Check this link. Roll the stem & check for round or square stem. Review all confused species from this link as well.

http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/glehe.htm

spartan green
05-14-2004, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. I have attached another picture for scale reference. I think I have it narrowed down to some sort of speedwell? I don't think it is Henbit as I don't remember the flowers looking that way and the stem is not square.

spartan green
05-14-2004, 06:50 PM
And another of it amongst the grass.

Runner
05-15-2004, 12:05 AM
It's Henbit, (if it has bluish to pinkish flowers, or it could be Speedwell (Corn type). This has more blue to the flowers than Henbit. The stem will hold the truth.

RjCjR
05-15-2004, 01:56 AM
Can easily be mistaken for henbit, but it's definitely corn speedwell (Veronica arvensis)!

Lower leaves are OPPOSITE, rounded, toothed
Upper leaves are ALTERNATE, smaller and narrower, without teeth

Also as mentioned before, henbit's stem is square
and it's grouping is more upright and spaced out than speedwell.

grassguy_
05-15-2004, 09:27 AM
Corn Speedwell for sure, henbit is larger in size and often mistaken for ground Ivy.

vegomatic40
05-15-2004, 09:34 AM
Yep..speedwell would be my best guess.

FerrisDJB
05-20-2004, 01:34 AM
Corn Speedwell has very tiny blue flowers inside the small clustes of leaves. The stems of the plant are hairy and the seeds are almost perfectly heart shaped. That's what is pictured in Sparten Green's post. This is a ***** to control....good luck!

CCLAWN
05-21-2004, 12:25 AM
For absolute confirmation, look at www.weedalert.com then go to full listing and look up speedwell. Darn near the same picture. We are having a heck of a time trying to kill it with milennium (although it is labelled for it). At least two apps. Very hearty this year in St. Louis.

lordohturf
05-21-2004, 12:30 AM
Looks like speedwell to me.

spartan green
05-21-2004, 08:53 AM
Thanks to all for the replys. Now that the weeds have gotten bigger, I can say for sure that it is indeed corn speedwell. Now to get rid of it........

RjCjR
05-21-2004, 05:09 PM
I've had really good control w/ Millennium Ultra
45mil/gal out of a backpack sprayer.

I never expect great results pulling a hose for speedwell, henbit, or ground ivy.

To me, using a handcan or backpack gives you much better results because of the smaller droplet size.

Rich

grassguy_
05-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Rich makes the point I was going to say as well, you need to use a small droplet applcation method either with a backpack or hand can with a fan tip or some fine Tee Jet nozzle that will provide a reduced droplet size that will adhere to the plant tissue easier.

RjCjR
05-22-2004, 05:09 AM
I've ALWAYS used a "regular flat-fan nozzle" for herbicides. I don't think I could promise an even treatment otherwise.

Spartan green: keep in mind, i'm not saying one app will kill it...
The tougher weeds (esp. as it gets warmer) need re-apps at about 15-20 day intervals.

if a cust is loaded w/ these "harder" weeds I'll re-app (once MAYBE twice depending on weather/watering) w/ only weed control between their regular 5-6 week interval treatment.

Doing this DEFINITELY sets me apart from the Trugreens of the lawncare industry. Proactive service calls make customers loyal!
I never want to be thought of as a "fast food" LCO!

tremor
05-22-2004, 09:04 AM
Use a real deal Organosilicone surfactant like Hawkeye or Silwet. Regular non-ionic surfactants don't even come close.

That or find some old Dacthal that's still registered.....good luck.