PDA

View Full Version : "Black Mat"??? is it worth it?

roadhawg3
05-13-2004, 10:43 AM
I have a back yard about 26'x77' that I want to till up, and install sod, and cypress mulch. some one suggested I should install some Black Matting to keep the weeds and small tree shoots from coming back up. i have never used this stuff before, but I believe it is the same thing they use at plant nurseries to keep down the weeds? It is not cheap, I called one place, and they said it was 35 cents a foot. actually, I believe it is cheaper by the roll, as it was $250. per roll, they said one roll should be enuff,. I would greatly appreciate any feedback from anyone that has used and installed this material or knows any thing about it. thanks RW

Mykster
05-13-2004, 06:43 PM
You want to install this barrier under the sod?

DFW Area Landscaper
05-13-2004, 07:20 PM
You honestly think you're going to keep weeds out of a lawn with weed fabric????

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

EagleLandscape
05-14-2004, 02:22 AM
The weeds will just grow on top of the fabric where the grass is growing. Don't ever use fabric.

roadhawg3
05-15-2004, 09:13 AM
yes, I guess you are supposed to till it up, and then install the matting, then add top soil or mulch, yes, I know it wont keep all the weeds down, but this might keep some of the tree shoots from coming back up? this area has never been anything but woods. also, because of all the large trees with so much shade, we are only planning on putting maybe 1/4 of it in sod, the rest mulch.

paponte
05-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Landscape fabric is a waste of time and money, when used for anything other than erosion control. Most weeds and unwanted growth form ontop of the fabric... not under it. ;)

neal-wolbertsinc
05-16-2004, 02:30 AM
Grass can root 12" deep if it is good soil and gets proper care. Is your fabric going to be that deep? If not, you're limiting the potential of the lawn. I have to agree with the others...fabric is a waste of time
and money most of the time. If tree roots show up in the lawn, have a licensed company treat them with selective herbicide until they stop growing. Much cheaper and a lot less trouble for you. Neal