PDA

View Full Version : flat bed hoist/dump

FrankenScagMachines
05-13-2004, 10:14 AM
This summer I want to put a hoist on my flatbed so I can get more use from it. Really looking forward to using that this fall with the leaf cleanups!!! But also, this summer I thought about doing some hauling for other people so a dump would be really nice too. The budget isnít ready for it right now and I donít have the time to install it since Iím working and still in school but when schoolís out and I get more cash Iím ready for one. What are my options? I want cheap but something that could lift the bed with about 3 or 4 tons of material on it. So say I need to lift 5 tons after the bed and as much weight as I think Iíll ever carry with it. I really just need a used unit. It wonít be used everyday I donít think but i donít want to shell out big bucks for a new one if I donít have to.

So:
Anyone built their own?
Anyone have a used one for sale?
Anyone know of places to get them cheaply new?
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

rookiemower
05-13-2004, 10:26 AM
eric try this site also i'll look for morehttp://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/LLCategoryDisplayView?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&productId=622669&categoryId=416
i think it's alittle pricey though. Personally i would build one, i have tons of cylinders and pumps to use and the lines and fittings could be made at my dads shop. i would check that same site for a 12v pump/powerunit. also cylinders are relatively cheap. go to a local truck dealer take some pics and see how they work then fab one up you could probaly do it for around $500:cool:

FrankenScagMachines
05-13-2004, 10:43 AM
Thanks Bill. I'd seen the Northern one but at $1200 i thought it could be cheaper! I can get a pump and cylinder for nothing but I don't know if the cylinder would be big enough. I just need to look at ones already on trucks like you say.

Potchkins
05-13-2004, 09:14 PM
pierce wrecker
in henrietta tx
same kit northen has
but cheaper
1800-658-6301
www.piercesales.com

cantoo
05-13-2004, 10:37 PM
eric, I'm going to a sale on Saturday. They have about 20 used trucks with dump hoists on them. Last year I bought a 93 F350 with 4 door and dump hoist for Can$1400. I robbed the hoist off it then built a flat bed for my Chev diesel. I then sold the F350 for Can$1500. I might buy a couple of trucks again this year. I have a sissor hoist on my Ford F250 but it doesn't have near the lift capacity of the single post. I wouldn't bother with a scissor lift again.

gene gls
05-13-2004, 10:58 PM
Get a larger hoist than you think you will need. I have a 10' flat bed with a 5 ton rated hoist that will not lift 3 tons. It sucks to have to shovel part of the load from the front of the body to get the hoist to pick up the body.

Gene

FrankenScagMachines
05-13-2004, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

Cantoo, if you bought an extra truck and robbed the hoist Iíd probably buy it if the price was right. I want to lift the bed with 6,000# on it (never have to haul that I donít think but if I did I wanna do it like Gene said). Course I donít know how youíd ship such an item from CanadiaÖ
Thanks,
Eric

Gravel Rat
05-14-2004, 12:32 AM
I know your on a budget but you may want to look at this site www.delhydraulics.com

I had a post hoist on my other truck it does have one draw back is you have to have a dog house on your headache rack. The hoist on the truck would dump 9000lbs of gravel like nothing.

I probably will go with a post hoist on my next dump deck I wasn't a real big believer in scissor hoists.

cantoo
05-14-2004, 08:53 PM
Eric, there must be auctions near you. Around here most City stuff is sold by auctions. As for shipping most of Ontario's used tractors are sold and delivered to Michigan Indiana, Ohio, etc. There will be American buyers at the sale tomorrow and the one on Monday.
I'll put the link here to the Monday sale so you have an idea of what is there. They do all the broker work at the border and deliver to your door.
http://www.bryansfarm.com/101/bryansfarm/auction/index.htm

Here is the one for the City of Toronto.
http://www.mckenzieauction.com/upcoming/200405151000.shtml

FrankenScagMachines
05-14-2004, 10:08 PM
Cantoo, yeah we have auctions but I donít have the cash to buy another vehicle and I donít have time to switch the hoist and then resell the truck.

TerraVenture
05-19-2004, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't go smaller than an 8ton hoist on a one ton. As for building your own you better have some good engineering knowledge to calculate loads on the body and geometry to get the correct dump angle. Also if you have a fixed flatbed you need to make sure the frame work is capable of bing made into a dump. Many flatbeds use light duty farme work because they use the truck frame for support. As for types of hoists I would go with a scissor hoist. The telescoping will be out of your budget and a direct push wouldn't work on such a long bed. Also you need some good welding skills if you are to do it yourself. I t can be done but it will be alot of work. Personally I would look for another truck with a dump body already installed. I had a hoist installed on my one ton last year because the old one broke and it was about $2000.

Gravel Rat
05-19-2004, 01:47 PM
A dump deck needs good main sills something with 5-6" channel the cross sills should be minimum 3". If you make a dump deck that uses wood for decking then the frame of the deck is going to need extra beefing to keep the twisting to a minimum. If you go with a deck and use 1/8 steel for the decking it makes the deck more rigid. The problem with a steel deck is its slippery so if your hauling skids of sod the wood slides on the steel like greased lightning.

When I priced out a telescoping hoist for my truck which is good for the payloads carried on my truck was less than a scissor hoist.

The problem with scissor hoists is they add weight to your truck if you look at a 8 ton rated hoist your adding close to 500-600lbs to your truck. A telescoping post hoist with with the same rating weighs less and has more strength.

You have to look at it this way you have more lifting power if you are at the end of the front of the deck than in the middle of the deck.

FrankenScagMachines
05-25-2004, 08:01 AM
Thanks guys. Just got a new ZTR so the hoist might have to wait a bit longer but I still WANT it this summer! Money's tight. We'll see.

Gravel Rat
05-25-2004, 12:22 PM
The lawn mower probably makes you more money than a hoist for your truck. Keep searching you will find a used hoist somewhere for a reasonable price.

Eric 1
05-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by FrankenScagMachines
Thanks guys. Just got a new ZTR so the hoist might have to wait a bit longer but I still WANT it this summer! Money's tight. We'll see.

Hey, wheres the pics of the mower.

btw, I asked the guy about the tthp and he said he did not what to pay for the shipping down to here, sorry.