PDA

View Full Version : NEW HD SERIES

4x4k20
12-09-2000, 12:10 AM
ANYBODY OUT THERE HAVE A NEW HD IF YOU DO IS IT THE TRUCK THEY CLAIM IT TO BE? DOES THE NEW ALLISION AUTOMATIC PERFORM WELL WILL IT PULL A LOAD EVEN IN OVERDRIVE?

landscaper3
12-09-2000, 12:47 AM
Why all of a sudden they came out with this HD duty series were the older ones light duty???? Im unclear it makes the others sound like light duty. Ford has done that for a few years so mabey GM has gone with that approach?

bandit_36
12-29-2000, 04:54 AM
The new allison is built to handle 900ft.lbs. of torque & the new 8300 vortec & izuzu diesel are only capable of 500ft.lbs. In answer to your question,if the engine can pull it, the tranny can take it.

John DiMartino
12-29-2000, 09:43 AM
The new Allison has been in service for over a yr-just got in Gm, trucks.Its torque capacity is 545 Ft lbs-not 900.The Duramax diesel puts out 520-so there isnt much room to grow HP wise and stay within the suggested limit.The 8100 Vortec has 460 ft lbs.I have driven both these trucks with both 8100 and duramax.I think the D-max is quicker than the 8100,but the 8100 is quicker out of the hole.The allison is a truck tranny period.it shifts a lot because the gears are close together (ratio wise),empty this is annoying,but loaded is must be nice.I wouldnt want to plow with the allison-reverse is a almost a creeper gear,and there is a huge delay when going reverse-to forward like i would 1000 times a night plowing.I hate to say this but I think the Allisons arent going to last for loacl driving,they simply cycle to much,constant shifting has to wear them out faster than being in one gear,since changing gears requires them to slip slowly to engage and disengage.The Duramax runs like a scalded dog-man it will flat smoke a Stock Cummins or Powerstroke-and do it effortlessly.Go drive one and hit it hard at about 50 and you'll be doing 80 in about 3 seconds.

thelawnguy
12-29-2000, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by landscaper3
Why all of a sudden they came out with this HD duty series were the older ones light duty???? Im unclear it makes the others sound like light duty. Ford has done that for a few years so mabey GM has gone with that approach?

Marketing, marketing, marketing. The old Ford SD was really quite a special vehicle, then Ford went and whored the name, make it seem all their truck line was as special as the old SD was, when in effect the new SD designation is no better than the f350 it replaced-just new styling and a new nameplate. Same with these new chevys. Slap on a new name sticker, crank up the juice on the engines and call em HD when in fact its the same ol same ol that it replaced. How can they call it HD with a front GAWR of 4250? (as the lawnguy spits on the ground...)

pottstim
12-29-2000, 10:32 PM
Actually, the new HD's are more heavy duty than their predecessors. If you will look underneath the truck, you'll see a much more substantial frame than what was on the old body style, and you will notice that the frames are larger than the standard 2500LD. This was something that you really couldn't tell on the old trucks. Trucks equipped with the Duramax Diesel and the 8.1 gas engine are of course equipped with the Allison Auto or a 6 speed manual, as well as a rear axle with an 11.5" ring gear. All 6.0 V8 powered HD's have the old 10.5" 14 bolt, as well as the 4L80-E automatic. Also, the GVWR of the 2500HD is 9200lbs. The old trucks had an 8600lb. GVWR capacity. The GVWR of the 3500 is 11,400lb..and the 3500 Chassis cab is rated at 12,000 lbs. Last years model was rated at 10,000lb GVWR.
I'd like to take one of those Diesels for a drive sometime..they sound really impressive.

Tim