PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Vs. Gas


Birddog Lawncare
05-13-2004, 05:06 PM
First off I'm a part timer in the green industry. I currently have a Chevy 1500, and I drive about 25 miles each way to work. Then I mow through the week. How much of a differnce in gas mileage is their between a standard gas engine vs. the Chevy HD diesels. Repairs? I'm wanting to get a crew cab 4 x 4 and I really like the Chevy HD's.

blafleur
05-13-2004, 09:45 PM
In your case, there will be very little difference. As much as I love my diesel, if I was in your situation, I couldnt justify the diesel.

Bryan

Jackman
05-13-2004, 10:24 PM
There should be considerable differance in mpg, I am a Ford man however as a comparison my two trucks are a 92 F-250 HD 4X4 with a 351 AND A 97 F-250 HD 4X4 with a Powerstroke the gasser gets 8 -10 mpg and the diesel gets 15-19... A diesel is a big chunk of money up frount but worth it imop its a much better work engine no matter who makes it....

blafleur
05-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Much bigger difference in the Ford than the Chevy. Chevy 1500's bet pretty good mpg usually. There would be a really big difference if you pulling something.

Mdirrigation
05-17-2004, 10:46 AM
Today Gasoline $2.01 per gallon Diesel $ 1.71 per gallon

cspurr
05-21-2004, 11:22 PM
SHELL OUT THE EXTRA 6K FOR THE DIESEL...

I am a Ford man, but let me tell you...I own a 97 F350 Dump with a 460 GAS engine...it has a lot of power, but it drinks gas like nobody's business...all tallied I get on average 8-9 mpg - and that really sucks with the way fuel prices are today, $2.16 here in Fort Wayne, IN as of the time of this post. If it were a diesel I would be getting about 13-14 City and at the very least 18-19 Highway. A very significant difference in the end. Plus, take my advice...if you are doing this kind of work and hauling equipment, the diesel is the only way to go...you will have far fewer problems with the diesel.

hope this helps,
-chris
Fort Wayne, IN

NNJLandman
05-22-2004, 12:29 AM
Depending on what you plan on doing in the future and what your work load is, I would almost in any case go with a diesel truck. I have a gas job 1500 truck myself and it suits me ok, but diesel.....theres nothing like it especially with these gas prices now a days. Diesel gives off great milage and awesome power. My boss has 2 gas rigs and 4 diesel rigs.....you can tell the difference. In my opinion you would be better off with a diesel long term.

Jeff

Premo Services
05-22-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by NNJLandman
Depending on what you plan on doing in the future and what your work load is, I would almost in any case go with a diesel truck. I have a gas job 1500 truck myself and it suits me ok, but diesel.....theres nothing like it especially with these gas prices now a days. Diesel gives off great milage and awesome power. My boss has 2 gas rigs and 4 diesel rigs.....you can tell the difference. In my opinion you would be better off with a diesel long term.

Jeff

I bought a dodge w/cummins diesel in january of this year and I am soo glad I did. The mileage has doubled over the 1/2 ton gmc 4x4 gas engine that I used for 8 years in this business. The power still amazes me!!!! I am driving more miles than last year and spending about 1/2 as much in fuel for the vehicle.... It has to be the best decision that I made in this business. Now I am working on replacing the mowing equipment to diesel, but that may take awhile, I have blown all my extra money on truck, employee, plow, blade grinder, and other toys. ;) :) :D :cool:

Green Pastures
05-22-2004, 06:04 PM
I love my 99 Ford F-250 with the V-10, but my next truck will have a diesel motor in it.

The only reason is mileage.

TheKingNJ
05-23-2004, 01:03 AM
Premo Services, what year dodge is that you have?

Premo Services
05-23-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by TheKingNJ
Premo Services, what year dodge is that you have?

It's in my signature line...

2000 dodge ram 2500 4x4 cummins diesel. I understand that buying a newer diesel truck, the added cost, but if you can get a good used one, the savings are seen right away. I see my savings every time I fill up, which is about half as much as with the gas engine I used to run. And to add to it, the traffic is unbearable this year, seems like I spend most of my time looking at someones brake lite. Every road in being worked on, I wish I would have bought stock in the orange barrles a couple years ago. Even with the horrible traffic, I still am getting 16-17 mpg and that impresses me and makes me a very happy camper...

there are some things with the diesel though, 11 quarts oil to change, on dodges the lift pumps fail sometimes, and the one I boughrt just had the whole lift pump assembly replaced under warraunty.

Tevi
05-23-2004, 10:51 PM
I've figured out out the savings on fuel price and mileage and on resale my truck with 198k diesel has saved me over 12k if I sold it today

bayfish
05-24-2004, 12:25 AM
Definitely go with diesel. My 1988 F350 7.3 IDI gets average of 13 mpg. Combination city and highway. This is a dually with stake body. It has 170K miles on it and runs great. Also have a 2000 f250 PSD that gets much better mileage with more power. I would not go back to a gas motor for a work truck.

Scag48
05-24-2004, 03:00 AM
It really depends on what you're using it for. I had an older diesel truck, an 82 GMC 1500 with 6.2 litre diesel. I got about 16 MPG with that thing, not bad for a carbeurated truck. When I went to buy a newer truck within the last month, I wanted a diesel. I soon realized that cranking on your batteries 10-20 times a day running the mowing route just wreaks havoc on your electrical systems. For me, it wasn't worth going back to diesel. I was burning batteries every 2-3 years and I was always having starter and alternator problems. The initial cost is so much more for a diesel rig and the payout is minimal. I get 14 MPG towing around 2K lbs. on the mowing route (in town, etc) with a 6.0 litre Vortec on my GMC 2500 and about 16-17 highway not towing. That is comparable to a newer diesel. After analyzing all this the only time I will ever go back to diesel is if I was doing alot of extended heavy towing on a near daily basis.

pjslawncare/landscap
05-26-2004, 11:54 PM
All three of my trucks are diesels, but I bought all of them used. They always run great, never give me any problems and my fuel usage is low. I will never go to gas again.

Grassmechanic
05-27-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Scag48
It really depends on what you're using it for. I had an older diesel truck, an 82 GMC 1500 with 6.2 litre diesel. I got about 16 MPG with that thing, not bad for a carbeurated truck. When I went to buy a newer truck within the last month, I wanted a diesel. I soon realized that cranking on your batteries 10-20 times a day running the mowing route just wreaks havoc on your electrical systems. For me, it wasn't worth going back to diesel. I was burning batteries every 2-3 years and I was always having starter and alternator problems. The initial cost is so much more for a diesel rig and the payout is minimal. I get 14 MPG towing around 2K lbs. on the mowing route (in town, etc) with a 6.0 litre Vortec on my GMC 2500 and about 16-17 highway not towing. That is comparable to a newer diesel. After analyzing all this the only time I will ever go back to diesel is if I was doing alot of extended heavy towing on a near daily basis. Early GM's were not turboed. To compare an early 80's GM to ANY of the newer ones is plain short-sighted. My '97 Cummins has the all original starter/alternator. Never any starting problems with the Optima's, even down to -12 last winter, without plugging it in. 22-23 MPG not towing. Towing I NEVER got lower than 17MPG. Gas around here goes for $2.10/gal. I filled up for $1.63/gal. Personally, I hope people keep bashing diesels. That way, demand for the fuel will remain much lower than for gas.

Eric 1
05-27-2004, 08:19 PM
You know, you dont have to get a NEW diesel, get one thats about 2 years old with about 100k or less, its a diesel still has lots of life left but it has depreciated enough to were it would be the same as a new gaser, and you get a better truck. Right now thats my plan.

Here i can get a 98-2000 f250 power-stroke with 5 speed or auto long bed, air ,loaded, with about 80-100k on it for about 8-10k depends on the options.

Who cares if it has some miles on it and its a year old, your not going to have it till hell freezes anyhow. For me, i keep a truck for just a few years and can see spending 30-40k for a truck when for 10k or less you get a top notch used one.

Premo Services
05-29-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Eric 1
You know, you dont have to get a NEW diesel, get one thats about 2 years old with about 100k or less, its a diesel still has lots of life left but it has depreciated enough to were it would be the same as a new gaser, and you get a better truck. Right now thats my plan.

Here i can get a 98-2000 f250 power-stroke with 5 speed or auto long bed, air ,loaded, with about 80-100k on it for about 8-10k depends on the options.

Who cares if it has some miles on it and its a year old, your not going to have it till hell freezes anyhow. For me, i keep a truck for just a few years and can see spending 30-40k for a truck when for 10k or less you get a top notch used one.

Thats exactly what I did. I was looking at getting an 01-02, but they were way out of the price range I wanted to pay. I found a nice 2000 dodge 2500 4x4 w/cummins and got a good price for my trade in vehicle, and a good price on the dodge. The power and mileage of this truck are incredible. I have had to put on brakes and one rotor. I love this truck, but now, we had a bad storm last week and it was beat up with golfball size hail pretty bad.Here is a pic of the hail the day after the storm and it had melted some.