PDA

View Full Version : Suspension on F-350 Dump

Joe Lombardo
05-13-2004, 06:33 PM
I recently purchased a 2004 Ford F-350 Dump truck I really like the truck but, there is always a "but" When the truck is loaded with lets say a couple of yards of loam I get this "slapping sound" coming for the rear suspension. I have a set of Timbrens on the rear suspension and I don't feel that the truck is being overloaded (a couple of yards of loam should not weigh over 5000# Anyone having the same problem or know what I should be looking at? When the truck is empty or has a lighter load it rides great and there is no noise coming from underneath the truck. Any suggestions on how to correct the problem. Thanks for your help

ksland
05-13-2004, 06:35 PM
Is it the overload springs hitting the perches?

wriken
05-13-2004, 07:36 PM
I put these air bags on my 02, f-250, solved that problem. You can rut up to 100 lbs in, I usually run about 20-30, 40 if I haul my big 25 enclosed trailer. Seems like the newer trucks haul less then the older ones, I had a 92 f-250, would hardly sab when the 3800 lb trailer was hooked up, differant story w/2002

Jackman
05-13-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by ksland
Is it the overload springs hitting the perches? Like Ksland says its the helper hitting the stops, unless your truck GVW is differant than my F-350 (mine is a 79, 10,000 lbs GVW empty, weight 6,775 lbs) its maxed out or maybe even overwieght with 2 yards of dirt.....

Joe Lombardo
05-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Well I just recieved a call from the Ford dealer as they explain it if I had 500# more on it or 500# less I would not hear the noise. The noise is caused by the helper springs hitting the spring stops. They suggest that I remove the Timbrens and let the springs carry the load. It sounds feasable, I'll try that next, if that works I'll be selling some slightly used Timbrens in ebay. Thanks for your help I appreciate it....

TRex
05-14-2004, 05:12 PM
I just bought a truck from a railroad service company called TrackWorks. Anyway they also had a couple of 3500 trucks there that had 2 1/2 ton spring set on them. They did this because the trucks had about 1 ton of equipment and a hoist on mounted on them and needed to be able pic stuff up and haul it. The mechanic I talked to about my truck said they do this with all their 1 ton trucks because of the same problems you are having

The mechanic takes the trucks to a spring company that builds spring packs. They used use Chevy trucks but I think any spring company should be able to do the same for you.

They had a set of air bags like the picture on the 1/2 ton truck I bought just so the supervisor could haul rail spikes across Texas and not have suspension problems.

Gravel Rat
05-15-2004, 12:54 AM
Overload slap is very very common not with a load thou its always with a empty truck so I guess the timbrens are not letting the weight ride on the overload springs.

You will really notice a loss in carrying capacity removing the timbrens as a F-350 really lacks springs. You don't want to beef up the rear suspension by adding more leaves to the pack you will make the ride a bit rough.

With your overload springs do you have a 1 leaf overload or is it 3 or 4 springs. The best bet if you want to eliminate the timbrens is beef up your overload pack so you have a 4 leaf pack it will give you the extra carrying capacity without affecting your unloaded ride.

I have owned and ran 1 ton dually flatdecks for quite a few years and still do I have gone to F-Superduties now (F-450) they carry more weight safer.

glllc
05-15-2004, 10:02 AM
The GVW on a 2004 is 12,500.

firedude26
05-15-2004, 08:38 PM
I bought a 03 350 4x4 dump in dec, i took the single overload spring off and replaced it with a stack of 8. the truck rides on the springs. It made it stiffer for the empty ride but i load 4 tons stone on it and it drops about 1.5 inches. still stands tall. If i remember correctly i only had 240 bucks in the springs and 2 hours labor putting them on. I will get a pick later and post it.