PDA

View Full Version : PG Ultra spreader question

bart may
05-14-2004, 12:12 AM
I can't seem to get hardly any pellets out of the left hole(drivers left) I have it open all the way and it doesn't seem to matter. The right side shoots out nicely at a 90 degree angle but the left barely spits out anything. So when I'm spreading I'm forced to spread always going to my left overlapping to the next tire mark. Is this normal? How can I get a more even distribution?

lawnservice
05-14-2004, 07:04 AM
typical lesco hopper.....however

the left hole (drivers left) is actually feeding the right side. you may need to close that hole a little or open the right hole (drivers right) to feed the left side.

LwnmwrMan22
05-14-2004, 07:13 AM
Forget this post, I reread the original and realized I was totally off, sorry. Haven't had the coffee yet this morning.

bart may
05-14-2004, 10:39 PM
So you mean if I open the opposite side farther it will affect the hole on the other side? Sounds weird but I'll try it.

GREEN OASIS
05-14-2004, 10:46 PM
i have never been able to get a proper pattern out of the ultra hopper and no way to adjust pattern out : my best suggestion is stay with the centri unit (previous model and convince your sales rep to recommend to permagreen that u want better hopper system with proper adjustments b4 you will get into new / additional units>>>>
besides these stainless steel frames can be rebuilt over and over again with new parts/ rebuilds are alot less than factory new>>>
old spyker hoppers have been the best they had around>....
but since lesco picked up franchising/distributor permagreen has been inclined to use lesco hoppers ....
big business go figure >>>

Runner
05-14-2004, 10:53 PM
Lesco works great, but you have do laps in a counter-clockwise pattern. The same with their push spreaders. Many people don't know this, but it is true. These spreaders spread at a 11 to 2:30 positioed pattern. After your forst border pass, go around to where your prills are hitting right in between the previous tire tracks. You will have a perfect, even spead of fert. everytime. No lines, no streaks, no missed areas.

LwnmwrMan22
05-15-2004, 07:39 AM
Yah, I agree with Runner. Took me about 1/2 yard watching the fert come out of the spreader to realize if I really wanted an even spread without too much screwing around, just do laps.

I set up the spreader like PG's book says, calibrated it out, but when I started spreading, it just didn't look right, so instead of running back and forth, I did laps.

I realize that since everything was calibrated, it was okay, but in my head I just couldn't convince myself that it was working the way it should.

Lawns look just fine.

grassguy_
05-15-2004, 11:16 AM
As some have already stated the Lesco pattern has been an issue with me for years and to no avail they've never corrected the hole positioning except to put a slide bar to cut down on the flow of one chute. We have cut the pattern of the ultra we spread with to nearly a 11 o'clock -1 o'clock to get an even distribution, which means you may end up with another pass or two doing a lawn but at least your not back to correct a streaked up mess.

bart may
05-16-2004, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the advice on the spreader. This is what I've been doing going counter clockwise it seems to spread perfect back to the last tire track. I guess I'll keep going in circles.

James Cormier
05-16-2004, 11:26 AM
I know lesco's 11-3 spread pattern seems weird when you applying, but Ive been pushing one for 18 years now, and the only time Ive streaked is when I thought too much about it,

Before PG's I just knew I took 4 steps between passes, no matter how it looked.

My first PG had the centri and I couldnt get use to the 11-1 pattern after spending soo much time with lesco spreaders.

Thats the only reason I bought my ultra when it came out.

When spreading with the ultra, I go around the edges 2x's then I go back and fourth like the old pushing days, closing the spreader at the end of each pass. No problems

A local guy, that worked for Lawn Doctor for years with the turf tamers goes in circles ( sounds like what runner does ) I couldnt figure this our and was allways streaking.

The biggest problem with the centri if you do it like I do ( shutting off at each end of pass ) is the cable that opens the spreader is not presice enough, and you streak not because of to close or to far passes, but because there is slight differences in the amount the opening is with each pass. ( Not to sure if I explained that good enough )

lawnservice
05-16-2004, 02:53 PM
James you explained that perfectly. We have done MANY retreats because of stripes with the centri. The ultra, with the rod instead of cable is an improvement, ofcourse now we got to deal with the lesco hopper.

turfsurfer
05-16-2004, 10:05 PM
One thing I notice with the Lesco hoppers (push, I haven't spread with my Ultra yet), is that even though it may state to be a 80 or 100 lb. hopper, if you put more than 1 bag of fert. in, I have alot of problems with one or more holes plugging up and messing up the pattern until cleared manually. It would be nice to get the coverage of 100 lbs. of product.

LwnmwrMan22
05-17-2004, 10:16 AM
I put in 100 lbs in my Ultra, never had a problem except for one time I tried using a bag that was half used and left in the rain. The fert was clumped up and did plug a hole.

I've even tried to "massage" 150 lbs into the Ultra, but that didn't work too well, got about 130 lbs under the shower cap.