PDA

View Full Version : White Pines and liquid fertilizer

gadfreak
05-14-2004, 12:02 PM
Hi Guys,

I just planted 30 white pines two weeks ago and I want to know what you guys would use as far as liquid fertilizer to get'em off to a good start. I was thinking of Miri-acid or something?

Thanks

Ice_Gargoylle
05-14-2004, 04:45 PM
you can use some triple phosphate tablets or granular and keep watering them each week. that should be good enuff.

how big are they? lil things? you can buy root stimulater for lil things.

jwholden
05-14-2004, 05:16 PM
You don't want to fertilize them with a lot of nitrogen, it will stress them out when they try to grow in 90 degree summer heat. I would hit them with a good starter fertilizer, as mentioned above.

There are many different 'concoctions' you could use such as roots plus, upstart, or superthrive. I would ask your local supplier what they have and go with that.

Plants don't require these supplements to grow, however, whatever you can do to help the plant along the better.

Good luck!

dvmcmrhp52
05-14-2004, 08:32 PM
As has been said.........
Roots are more important than top growth...........
Use upstart or something similar to develop a strong root system to support later top growth.
Encouraging top growth with nitrogen ferts will only stress the trees because of a lack of normal root development due to transplanting.

neal-wolbertsinc
05-15-2004, 03:05 AM
Check out Supertrace and Soilseeds at www.wolberts.com. Click on the Plant Essentials logo for labels. Mix the two together in water; Supertrace @ 2 qts. to 1 gallon 1000/sq ft and Soilseeds @ 3 oz 1000 sq ft (of root zone) with mycronized mychorrhizae from Myco-Apply in Forest Grove Oregon @ 1# in 200 gals. of finished mix. (www.mycorrhizae.com). That's all you will need, no nitrogen at all until the second year and then go easy, no more than 1 1/2 # N per year from then on. This is a root drench or injection mix, not a topical spray application and will benefit the soil for an extended time. The micro-nutrients will be taken up by the plant resulting in a rich color response as more chlorophyll is procuced. The biologicals will stay active in the soil as long as they are stopped by drought or high salt fertilizers. Some fungicides can hurt biologicals as well. Treating every year with this blend will be an affordable "full meal deal" for trees, shrubs and perennials. Call me @360-239-3126 for more info. My company applies this to hundreds of landscapes each year, many being brand new plantings, with predictable excellent results. Neal