PDA

View Full Version : stone beds to mulch beds

bobbygedd
05-14-2004, 08:53 PM
i'm landscaping a large area, it currently has 2 inches of 3/4" white stone in the beds. we want to make these beds mulched instead of stone. can i just mulch over top the stone? there is no fabric or plastic under the stone. thanx

dvmcmrhp52
05-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Shouldn't be a problem,just makes for ugly digging if they ever want to add to the beds,as well as being a pain in the arse to do edging without bringing the edge further out than what exists.

bobbygedd
05-14-2004, 09:31 PM
exactly my plan, i'm gonna bring the edges out another 6 inches all around. mulch right over top the stone

dvmcmrhp52
05-14-2004, 09:35 PM
It may actually benefit the mulch by allowing the mulch to drain.
Last year was hell for fungus in the mulch because of all the rain.

Big M LawnnSnow
05-15-2004, 06:22 AM
Ive done it that way before.
The only real problem is when you want to plant something and you have to dig through the rocks, Some customers don't really appreciate it at that time when there doing the planting.
Definately bring the edges out a bit.
MJ

stoneseller
05-15-2004, 09:33 AM
If the gravel is real white, it's probably a limestone or marble chip. If you do leave it in there, don't try to plant any acid loving plants, ie, most evergreens, azealas, rhodos, etc. All that stone will constantly leach into the soil, making it great for grass, but lousy for the majority of commonly used foundation shrubs.
Ask the client if they have any future planting plans, and advice them of the limitations of suitable shrubs for alkaline soils.
Just a thought
David

GarPA
05-15-2004, 09:36 AM
BG..your approach is what we've done often.Trying to get the stone out is next to impossible...been there, tried that...never again