PDA

View Full Version : endophytic grass

cenlo
05-14-2004, 08:52 PM
Has anyone overseeded with endophytic grass seed. We are currently vertislicing all properties with 25% Kentuckey, 37.5% Creeping red fescue, and 37.5% endophytic rye. I skip my spring corn application so that I can get endophytic seeds into the lawns to prevent chinch bug infestation.

timturf
05-15-2004, 07:08 AM
will find in alot of the improved seed, rye and tt tall fescue especially.

yes, i have

cenlo
05-15-2004, 06:13 PM
Do you consider this to be a "key" to organic lawncare. (ie. thickening the grass plus the endophytes to resist insects?

Ric
05-15-2004, 07:27 PM
Floratan is a endophytic variety of St Augustine Grass. Yes it work great as long as you treat it every 60 days with a good insecticide. :D

ChickensDoo
05-15-2004, 10:26 PM
Yes it is very effective, endophite enhanced varieties have changed St. Louis from a Bluegrass market 2o years ago to a Tall fescue market today.
We used to program regular applications of dursban for chinchbug. No longer a problem in this area.
I am curious why so much Creeping red in your blend?
We also see less patch disaease as a result of improved varieties.

Yes i believe they have a key place in the overall attempts to reduce reliance on pesticides. A thick healthy turf is your best weapon.
Also curious why you choose to seed in spring? Fall success rate is 100% better. I cant imagine the weed and grassy weed problems you encounter opening the soil up to spring competition.

cenlo
05-17-2004, 10:02 PM
I overseed new accounts only in the spring, as my only defence against chinch bugs. Normally we overseed in the fall. (I figure I can pull weeds manually easier than bugs)

Ric
05-17-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by cenlo
I overseed new accounts only in the spring, as my only defence against chinch bugs. Normally we overseed in the fall. (I figure I can pull weeds manually easier than bugs)

cenlo

By studying the life cycle of a pest you can control it better. Now case in point is the Chinch Bug. Chinch Bugs can in fact be drown by plain water. No Pesticide needed. Now water will not complete eradicate them, however it can lower population to a more manageable level. The water will also help the new grass get a better start. Chinch Bugs have chewing sucking mouth parts that work better on dry grass than well hydrated turf. However young leaves on any plant are more susceptible to all insect damage. Now the sucking by Chinch Bugs doesn't cause the damage it is the enzyme that they inject into the leaf that does the harm. Of course by adding a little Chlordane to the water will make it work better.