PDA

View Full Version : Chevy 2500 vs Ford F250

RYAN
12-09-2000, 06:13 PM
I know we have had this one before but I am looking to get a new truck next year for pulling more equipment and I will also be getting into snow plowing. I am currently using a Chevy 1500 and really like it, but it does not have 4WD and it has the little 4.3 litre V6. I would prefer to stick with Chevy and was looking to upgrade to the 2500 with 4WD but I would also go for an F250. I was wondering if any of you would have any opinions or preferances between the two. I am not looking to go brand new, probably between 1992 and 1997. What do you think?

Ryan

My 100th post!!!!

Cutter1
12-09-2000, 06:21 PM
I HAD a 94 ford f250. Had soooo many problems with it. I traded it in on a 2000 chevy 25000hd 454!!! I'm much happier now. YOu would be srprised at the prices of new trucks. Mine listed for 26k, I got it for 21k. Maybe you should look at a new one.

lawrence stone
12-09-2000, 06:26 PM
Why not just buy a new NPR Isuzu with a 14 ft rack body for $20K?

Keep your pickup for personal/sales/backup usage and buy a real truck for work.

John DiMartino
12-09-2000, 06:48 PM
If you are buying used,definetely a Chevy,they just last longer.Fords arent bad,but GM's hold up to time and wear better for the most part,especially the V8 vortec engines,they run great,and all GM's are easy to do tune-ups and minor maintance on.Try working on a Ford 302 or 351 with that huge intake manifold,replacing valve cover gaskets or intake gaskets is an all day job,for a pro.If you need proof as to who makes the better truck,book them both.similarly equipped on any used car site,thew GM gets much better resale.

Evan528
12-09-2000, 07:37 PM
well i bought a new ford f-250 extended cab xlt in june. At the time i really couldnt decide between that and the equivelant chevy 2500. The price was just about exact.... both had power to spare and drove nice.... I finally got my dealer to arange for us to drive the ford up to there chevy dealer so i could put them next to each other and make up my mind. The interior of the chevy was definitly nicer that the ford (had more bells and wistles). The outside of the ford i thought was a whole lot nicer looking than the chevy. the ford stood much higher and just looked awsome. right then and there i decided wanted the ford and signed the papers that day. I have now been driving it for 6 months and am very happy with it. My only dislikes are its pitiful gas mileage wich i expected and its VERY wide turning raduis. Its a great truck though and can pull a house!

bdemir
12-09-2000, 07:40 PM
Ive had both and i prefer gm hands down. Ford just doesent build the same quality that GM does. GM all the way for me. Ford makes their front axles and frames strong but gm makes them strong and durable. They take a beating and still give ta much better ride. Comfort is king for me. The more i drive the more it matters.

bdemir

KirbysLawn
12-09-2000, 08:05 PM
I like Ford, duh, however the New Chevy with the Duramax is going to be hard to beat.

John DiMartino
12-09-2000, 08:57 PM
Ray,he is talking about 92-97.I dont think there is any doubt with the old Fords as to which will hold up better.

steve
12-09-2000, 09:03 PM
Why would you want a truck higher off the ground??
The fords door height & bumpers are higher off the ground, but actual ground clearance difference is very little.

KirbysLawn
12-09-2000, 09:14 PM
Sorry John, I missed that! http://www.unionturf.com/nerd.gif

morturf
12-09-2000, 09:16 PM
It is because these young guys like lifting all the heavy stuff higher. Manufactures don't realize they are ruining working vehicles for the sake of an aggresive look to sell them to people that don't even use them for work. There are too many lawyers and doctors driving pickups now and the manufacturers are catering to the because of the profit margin on this type of vehicle. Oh yeah, I prefer a Chevy for this very reason, lower load height. Not to mention the longevity factor.

John DiMartino
12-09-2000, 10:07 PM
Ray,from 92-97 the F250 HD,while a great work truck,rides very stiff,yet the TBB front end drops badly with a plow.They also get horrendous gas mileage as compared to GM's.The chevy's ride much better,ahve stronger 4L80E trans ,and are much easier to load and unload due to 35" tailgate height,next to 39" of the Ford.

landscaper3
12-09-2000, 10:24 PM
We have 2 1997 Ford F-350's 4WD's with the Powerstroke diesel's and in summer we get up to 22mpg with them and winter drops a decent amount becuse of sanders and plowes. There are dealers who will back up plows on King Cabs but you have to find them!

Rufur
12-09-2000, 10:43 PM
I use both go with the chevy

thelawnguy
12-09-2000, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by KirbysLawn
I like Ford, duh, however the New Chevy with the Duramax is going to be hard to beat.

I wouldnt put so much blind faith in copy from an advertising execs notebook. Every time some co has a new product the ad man makes it seem like the best thing since Eden. Looking at the specs of the new Chevy I dont see anything extra spectacular, it still has the weakest front end (4250 lbs) of any truck in its class curently on the market, the specs for the Allison transmission arent really any stouter than the current HD trans (except the weight)among other shortcomings.

Lets wait til these things see time on the road in the hands of minimum wage drivers before we pass judgement.

CCLC
12-09-2000, 10:58 PM
I have had both. I prefer the GMC/Chevy. Both trucks have their high points and both have there low points. I couldn't stand how much it cost me to operate my F250. It had great ground clearance though for pushing snow up and over curbs. My GM trucks all grind the plow A frames on curbs. The GM rides better that Ford. But, I think that if you take care of what ever you buy it will be a dependable work truck. Just remember you never know what you might get in a used truck.

4x4k20
12-09-2000, 11:27 PM
GO WITH THHE GM TRUCK YOU WONT REGET IT

jaybee
12-09-2000, 11:51 PM
I'm glad somebody mentioned the heighth of the two trucks. I wanted a three quarter ton truck but didn't want to use a step ladder to get in and out. And the lifting of objects into the truck bed was a factor. I bought a 2000 GMC Sierra and consider it the best truck I have ever owned and my three previous trucks were Fords. This is not saying that GM is better than Ford because we could have 500 posts on the subject. This is saying that for my needs I couldn't have chosen a more perfect truck.

MIDSOUTH
12-10-2000, 09:58 AM
this thread probably does not pertain to me because i have a 2001 f250 and not a 92-97,but anyway i just recently bought a 2001 f250 4 door 4x4 deisel automatic and personally love it-i don't care for the fuel economy-because there is none-right now it only gets about 12mpg in town-but it only has 2000 miles on it,maybe when it breaks in it will get better.it rides kinda stiff but i expected that with the 4wd.

RYAN
12-10-2000, 05:00 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I was pretty sure I wanted the Chevy I just wanted to see what some of your opinions may be. Looks like Chevy/GMC is the right choice. Thanks

Michael Fronczak
12-11-2000, 08:31 PM
I bought a new truck in 99 K3500, have no regrets, looked seriously at Fords, then I stood next to a Ford, I'm 5'9' I couldn't reach over the side of the box, I could barely see over it. We were just out plowing the other week, I was plowing right along side a Ford F250(new style), he couldn't believe the difference in turning radius, said I could manuver twice as quickly as he could.

Evan528
12-11-2000, 10:26 PM
yeah ill have to agree that fords turning radius is pitiful! my buddy has a chevy but has driven my ford and he said his chevy isnt much better... cant be much worse

dhicks
12-12-2000, 08:37 AM
I took delivery of a new Chevy 2500 HD last night. My old 98'CK1500 2WD, ran and pulled my rig just fine but I wanted a bigger truck. Noticed I said wanted and not needed. :D

The new truck came with a HD towing package and the front is prepped for a plow. Plenty of creature comforts like heated seats and mirrors. It has a Vortec (sp) 6000, 300 HP engine, HD transmission. Also, a transmission and oil cooler. Iím in love.......... The bed liner and undercoating will be done on Wednesday.

I did drive the F-250 and I really did like it but it was too d*mn big for me and the wifey to get in and out of easily. At 5' 6" I needed a step ladder. Thank you Santa.